Monday, February 13, 2017

Pilgrimage


Pilgrimage.

Though not a physical journey, I am taking a journey.

I am working my way through Christine Valters Painter's The Soul of a Pilgrim: Eight Practices for the Journey Within.

I started this book over a month ago. Today I started chapter 2 and then reread my notes from chapter 1.

There is so much meat here that I need to chew slowly.

As I prepare to enter Lent, I recognize that this is the book for me for the Lenten season. Lent is a pilgrimage.

"Practices are an essential part of the pilgrim's journey. What practices would support you most in the season ahead?" (17)

As I read and reflect today, I think there are three practices I will take with me through the Lenten season this year: contemplative photography, writing, and letting go.

Letting go is a theme in chapter 2.

By learning to let go, we learn what is essential, we clear away those things or beliefs that hold us back.

One goal of growth in the Christian journey is "letting go of everything that keeps us l from God and moving us along a journey toward authentic freedom." (35)

There are items in my home that I need to let go. For example, I know there are books (gasp!) and clothes that have outlived their time.

There are thoughts and beliefs for me to let go and put aside.

My goal is to move towards wholeness, oneness.

I learned that the scallop shell is a symbol for the pilgrim's journey (38). Shells, not necessarily the scallop, are also symbolic of baptism and remembering one's baptism.

As I read and reflected today, I opened myself up to wonder, to packing lightly on this pilgrimage, and to surrendering.

I don't fully know where this pilgrimage will take me or how I will be at the end, but I look forward to the journey.

The picture above is what "shimmered " tome as I looked around the room I am in. I enjoy stain glass windows. From my vantage point, I can see the overcast sky. It is not dreary to me, but rather open and spacious, beckoning.

Whatever Lenten practice(s) you take on this season or whatever pilgrimage you may be on, may you experience a fresh renewing and awakening in your relationship with the Creator.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment