Monday, July 10, 2017

Abiding time-- Remember

This morning's abiding time is out on the patio, in front of the running fountain. It is cool outside for the moment.  The sun was already up when I arose because I slept in some this morning.  I have coffee and I've walked around the yard to check out some of the flowering trees.





Now it's time to sit with the Word.

As I pick up Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God by Macrina Wiederkehr, I'm at the last chapter.  This book has been an excellent one to read, reflect upon, and work through.  I have not read through it quickly. In fact, I started it in 2012.  It has taken me 5 years to read through this book.  Now that may be considered something more like 'slow reading' lectio tardi rather than 'sacred reading' lectio divina, the spiritual discipline of prayerfully reading a text, but I have taken my time with this book to savor it.

Today's final chapter is entitled "Little Lights along the Way".  The concept in the chapter is about remembering.  The Scripture passage for today is Deuteronomy 8:1-20.  If you'd like to take a moment to read it, you can look it up or click on the passage in the previous sentence and it will take you to biblegateway.com, where I have linked to the NRSV.  From there you can pick any other version or language.

The key verse for the chapter is verse 2: "Remember how for forty years now the Lord, your God, has directed all your journeying in the desert."

As I mentioned, the focus for this chapter is the word "remember".

Macrina notes, "Remember is a beautiful word.  To remember can be the source of much healing." (204)

The Deuteronomy passage calls the people to remember their 40 year journey in the wilderness, to not forget the Lord God, to remember the commandments, to remain humble, and to never forget the origins of the blessings that they will receive.

It's important for us to remember.  In the midst of the difficult times, we call out to God.  However, we can tend to forget to be thankful and/or rely on God when things are plentiful, bountiful, or easy.

Yesterday I preached on the Matthew 11 passage in the lectionary.  A portion of that is 28-30.  On my way home from the District Superintendent reception, I needed to get gas for the car.  The sign "rough road" that always gets my attention, got my attention again.

This time, while my car was filling up, I walked to the edge of the parking lot and snapped a picture.  When I got home, I wrote these words to go with the picture and posted on my Instagram and Facebook accounts, as a way of remembering:

This sign on Boy Scout Road indicates there is a rough road ahead. It is good to be warned. We aren't always so lucky. Regardless, when it gets rough, remember the mandate that Jesus gives in Matthew 11:28-30--“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (The Message)



We are called to remember. We are called to remember the mandates given to us, to remember the blessings, to remember the things we've been through, the people in our lives, etc.

Macrina also notes, "Remembering is a spiritual practice." (204)

Macrina adds, "Remembering the source of our blessings is an important piece of our life's work." (204)

As the Hebrew people were coming out of the wilderness, they began to show that they had learned much on their journey through the wilderness together.  

Macrina suggests, "They learned how to serve one another.  God took the sometimes questionable raw material of this incongruent group and formed them into community." (206)

In the reflection and prayer section, one of the reflections is this: "Name some of your own wilderness journeys.  How have you been led from slavery to freedom?  Who have been your guides?"

One of my wilderness journeys has been my journey to ordination.  As I have sought to correctly hear the One Voice on this journey, there have been many folks who have spoken life into me along the way, who have supported me, prayed for me, nudged me, encouraged me, and even pushed me. 

From the 5 Day Academy to the 2 Year Academy to the HH Bible Study at Burks UMC and my Sunday School class there, to the support I had at Grace UMC when I started taking seminary courses to official mentors like Rhonda Hobbs, Amy Whatley Cook, and Ginger Isom to non-official mentors that would be too many to name to our Provisional class to seminary friends and colleagues along the way to my first appointment to my family to the Fellowship of United Methodists Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (FUMSDRL) to the Walk to Emmaus community.  All of these things and people have shaped me on this journey (and MANY others, again.... SO MANY!!)

It has been a journey with questions and doubts, but also one with affirmation of calling. 

Just yesterday I had the opportunity to go through a catalog of memories because it was Linda Bird Wright's birthday and Facebook reminded me of that.  I was Staff Parish Chair when she came to Grace UMC and she is the one who was able to get me started on that purple book (that was no longer being used, but I did it anyway) with a mentor.  I went through mentoring prior to official mentoring for candidacy.  I remember that from my time with her and many other things.  Among them, she would say that she say me as a teaching elder.  Here I am today as a provisional elder in my 3rd year in my first appointment, working toward my full connection as elder with my ordination paperwork.  Who knew?!?!  

I take time to reflect and remember the blessings in my life.  The people, all the provisions God has made, even the rough times because they too have molded and shaped me to become who I am today.

Above all, I remember that I am wonderfully made and loved by the Creator.  That helps me going on the journey.

In closing, here is Macrina's prayer for this chapter:

"O Star and Staff of My Life, 
On my journey into the good country of my life you have lavished me with gifts and surrounded me with miracles.  Such treasures have come from your hand, O my God.  Thank you for your abiding presence on my wilderness journeys.  You are my light! You are my support! Guide me with your law and teach me.  Shine on the paths I must walk. Uphold me when I falter.  Feed me with the Bread of your Word.  Receive my love! Increase my love!  O Star and Staff of my Life-- on you I have leaned since birth." (208)

May there be times of remembering on your journey.

Peace and blessings, 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment