Monday, April 9, 2018

Smile! Give It Away-- lessons from the comics


In yesterday's "The Family Circus" we see Dolly going up to someone; standing in front of her, not saying a word, but smiling at her; and then proclaiming, "You can' give a smile away. It always comes back."

Life's lessons and truth from the comics strips.

It is true, normally, that when you smile at someone, it will be returned. And if it isn't, it is still worth the gift of giving. We never know howmuch the gift of a smile can mean to someone.

Smile!

I am taken back to the camp song, "Smile! Don't you know God loves you?"

Here is the chorus:

Smile! Don't you know God loves you?
Come to think of it, I love you too.
Take the time to smile at someone
And before you're through
Someone will be smiling back at you.

What about the verses?

Did you ever think that you were alone?
Did you ever think that you were all alone?
If you ever thought you were alone, you didn't realize that he was home
If you ever thought that you were alone.

Are you afraid of the dark?
Does darkness give you a fright?
If you're afraid you don't realize
you're always in his sight 
If you're afraid of the dark.

Did you ever think you'd lost your last friend?  
Did you ever think you'd lost your last friend?
If you ever thought you'd lost your last friend, 
Just look up there and think again.
If you've ever thought you'd lost your last friend.

---------------
At camp, we added a "bm, bm, bm" before each chorus.  However one might best represent that that... "bum", maybe?

camp song sheet
In doing some research, it appears that Sarah Sterling wrote this song and is also know as "Smile".  (See information.)

This song always made me smile at camp.  And, as we sang it across the campfire, we made each other smile too.  It might be a little cheesy (or corny), simplistic, and maybe not 100% realistic theologically if you've experienced a dark night of the soul.

As I reflect on this song now, it has held up for me over the years, even when I have gone through (and go through) dark and difficult times and have not felt the presence of God,  I suppose it's because I have learned that it is okay when I'm afraid and there is often a peace that calms my fears.  Not always, but many times. I have learned that it is normal to go through the valley of darkness and that it is normal to feel alone.  These are just a few things I have learned over the years.  I am still learning.  Learning is a life-long process.

As we are in the 2nd week after the Resurrection, I am reminded that even Christ felt forsaken by God and cried out in anguish.  If Christ felt this separation from his father, then it is normal that we will feel it too.

As I reflect, I recognize that just as the darkness of the dark earth isn't forever for the seed, there is a time to press onward and upward, breaking through the barrier toward light that leads to growth. As the plant pushes forth through the soil and reaches toward the light, we too can press on.  We can continue to be and do.

Even in the dark times we can find a way to smile and to give away a smile.  I believe we can smile without forcing, faking, or wearing a mask.  However, if it isn't there, it's okay. Let's be honest and real enough with ourselves and others to realize that we aren't in a place to give.

If we aren't able to give a smile, then maybe we are meant to receive a smile from someone else.  In that receiving, then maybe, just maybe, like Dolly teaches us in the comic strips, we will be able to give it back.

I'm willing to try.... are you?

Bm, bm, bm..... Smile!

Blessings on your journey!

Debra



[NOTE: I also found a blog post "Sunday Joy: Smile! Don't You Know God Loves You/?' with the chorus in it, but it attributed the song to someone else and had a verse I never learned.  For a different verse and an interesting read, you can check out that blog post here.]



No comments:

Post a Comment