Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Memories that Provoke Renewed Thought

I don't know about you, but there are days when my "memories" on Facebook can take me back on a trip down memory lane, remind me of some good times, bring up the loss of a loved one, remind me even why I joined in the first place (I was a professor at a local university and I joined Facebook to get to know my students), ETC. Sometimes those memories show up and they cause me to pause.

Like today.  A picture and a statement came up and it was one of those "cause for a pause" moments. 

It took me back.  It took me back to Buffalo, MN, to Christ the King Retreat Center where we had our FUMSDRL/HOF retreat with Terry Hershey that summer.  It was the summer that I did SOULfeast one week and then went directly into the retreat for week 2.  It was crazy on one hand, but it proved with time that God was working in the soil of my soul.

I wandered around that beautiful place and took many photographs.  I had many thoughts.  I had great conversations with lots of wonderful people that week.  Some of those folks I will see next week as we gather in NC for this year's FUMSDRL/HOF retreat with Jane Vennard.  Other folks won't be there, but I will meet new ones.  There were some conversations that week that rooted deep.

As I looked at the photograph today, I remembered standing there in the spot, contemplating the scene that was in front of me.  I remembered the curiosity, the sense of adventure, and the feeling that somehow, this was my path.  Not the literal path in the picture, but the one I wrote about, the one I shared again today on Facebook.  The one I share here.

Do I understand it fully? No.  Do I know where it's going?  No.  Do I need to?  No.  Not according to Thomas Merton and others.  I will follow what I can clearly see daily.  I will continue living into who and what I am created to be.  I will learn, listen, and follow the guidance of the One Voice who leads and guides me (Psalm 23).

taken July 25, 2014 at Christ the King Retreat Center
Here are the words I wrote on July 25, 2014 to accompany the picture above:

When faced with an overgrown path between yourself and a destination, look closely for the hidden worn path of travelers gone before and follow their steps. If no such step or opening exists, it may be time to forge the path for others.~d


Blessings on your path and your journey,

Debra

P.S.  We met that year in 2014 as a Board prior to the retreat.  I wrote several blog posts from my time there, but here is one that I wrote a few days earlier on 7/22/14 to seeing this scene and writing this picture. 

Follow the trails of the wise ones...

2 comments:

  1. So I "follow(ed) the trails of the wise ones..." and clicked to read more. What did I find? Our conversation about cedar flutes! Ha! Interesting. So I followed you into memories of my own and took down my cedar flute to remind me to play it in the morning. (It's about 4:15 a.m. in St. Louis right now as I contemplate our conversation from three years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this yesterday, 8/19/18. I haven't been on my blog in a while. I have been trying to get back into work mode. Are you playing your flute? I have looked at mine a couple of times. I long to pray it, yet something holds me back. I hold me back. Good to hear from you!

      Delete