Saturday, October 20, 2018

Embracing Soul Care--Grow Your Soul


Embracing Soul Care: Making Space for What Matters Most by Stephen W. Smith is a book that I just picked back up this week and started where I left off.  It is all about deepening the inner walk with God.

The next chapter in the book, 27, is "Grow Your Soul".  Each chapter is short, but full of edification and encouragement as you seek to make space for your soul. 

The quote for this chapter is by Martin Luther King, Jr.-- "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." (93)

That is a 'cause for a pause'. 

The Scripture is Proverbs 11:28 (MSG)-- "A God-shaped life is a flourishing tree."

Some of the quotes that stood out to me in the chapter:

"Soul care resembles a tree.  It takes years for a tender tree to mature.  Time, attention, nourishment, protection, and pruning contribute to its growth.  The same is true for spiritual growth." (Smith, 93)

This is an important reminder.  Growth takes time.  Not only time, but attention, nourishment, protection, and pruning.  If any of these aspects is lacking, growth isn't stopped, but it might be slowed down or hindered.  Pruning is a very important key to growth.  Of all the things listed, it is probably the least favorite and the most counter-intuitive.  Yet, cutting things away in order to have a healthier being is part of growth.

Now, back to some quotes by the author:

"Our inner growth can be long and arduous.  At other times, it's joyful and spontaneous." (93)

"The feeding of our spiritual roots provides the nourishment for a vibrant and resilient soul." (94)

This last line brings to mind my current journal which is "Advice from a Tree".  It's from the perspective of trees.  We can learn much from nature and I picture the roots drinking deeply from the water, the nutrients and giving strength to the tree/soul, making it vibrant and resilient, able to withstand the storms of life.

The author reminds us that "there are no shortcuts to cultivating our souls.  It is a day-by-day, year-to-year process that does not respond to a set formula for success.  But the long process enables the development of an intimate relationship with God." (94)

For many years I thought there was a set formula (or several of them) that I could use to grow and that would lead to success.  I have learned that it isn't so.  There are tools and resources I can use, but tools and resources that once worked don't always work at a different time and stage along the journey.  I must be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to lead and guide my nourishment, showing me what will best feed my soul.

Here are the questions at the end of the chapter.  You may find them helpful:
1. What do you need to grow spiritually?
2. What could nourish your spiritual life?  Why?
3. Using the metaphor of a tree, at what stage of growth are you?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

1 comment:

  1. Hi, i found your page interested and informative. YOur effort is great. Keep it up.
    Mehndi designs 2019

    ReplyDelete