Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Taste and See-- Sunday's sermon from Psalm 34:1-8

I still haven't gotten around to posting the sermons from the first part of the month, but I thought I would post this past Sunday's sermon, "Taste and See" from Psalm 34:1-8.

Maybe I will get a few moments at some point to post the others.  Who knows?!?!

As with any sermon, what is typed out isn't exactly what is shared.  And now that we are recording our sermons, you can listen via the link to what is said.  I added a quote from an essay in Feasting in the Word toward the end and I edited the ending a little too.

Though I could have edited the manuscript to reflect what I said, I have other things I need to do so I thought my time would be better in letting you listen to the sermon, read what is there, and allow the Holy Spirit to sort out whatever needed to be sorted out.  Besides, it is the Holy Spirit who is the great teacher anyway.  I'm just a vessel.

Peace and blessings,

Debra
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taste and See
Psalm 34:1-8 (CEB)
October 28, 2018 (23rd Sunday after Pentecost)
Fort Oglethorpe UMC

Psalm 34:1-8 (CEB)

1I will bless the Lord at all times;
    his praise will always be in my mouth.
I praise the Lord

    let the suffering listen and rejoice.
Magnify the Lord with me!
    Together let us lift his name up high!
I sought the Lord and he answered me.
    He delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to God will shine;
    their faces are never ashamed.
This suffering person cried out:
    the Lord listened and saved him from every trouble.
On every side, the Lord’s messenger protects those who honor God; and he delivers them.
Taste and see how good the Lord is!
    The one who takes refuge in him is truly happy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD.
THANKS BE TO GOD.                
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                           
I mentioned “Why the Psalms Today?” by Elise Eslinger two weeks ago to help us understand why we might dive deeper into the Psalms. We included it on the back of the responsive reading for you to look at later. 

As I shared last time that I preached on a Psalm, I chose to preach from the Psalms this month for several reasons.  They are beautiful and powerful Scriptures that we don’t often spend enough time studying, in my opinion.  Though we may read the responsive reading or have a portion of a psalm or two memorized, we don’t tend to spend lots of time in the Psalms.  Another reason I decided to let the Psalms be the focus is that by looking at something we don’t dive into as often, we might become more open to hearing the Holy Spirit.  May it be so today.

Psalm 34 is categorized by Walter Brueggemann as a psalm of new orientation.  The other psalms I have shared this month have been psalms of disorientation.  The psalms of disorientation are the ones that are most often ignored or left out in preaching or studying and that is one reason I decided to preach the lectionary Psalter passages.  The psalms of new orientation are likely more familiar.  You have heard them in songs, single verses, etc.  In these psalms of new orientation, there is thanksgiving.  There is an element of surprise of grace, new life.  The psalms of new orientation show a response from a place of disorientation and lament to new orientation and praise and thanksgiving. (Brueggemann, The Message of the Psalms, Chapter 4)

Psalm 34 is also considered a “wisdom” psalm because of the wisdom and instruction it contains. 

What is the rescue referred to here?  It is David’s rescue from Abimelech, as noted in most Bibles between the Psalm title and the psalm itself.  Different versions might title it differently.  For example, the CEB notes:

Of David, when he pretended to be crazy before Abimelech, who banished him so that he left.

Of David. When he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him away, and he left. (NIV)

Of David, when he feigned madness before Abimelech, so that he drove him out, and he went away. (NRSV)

A David Psalm, When He Outwitted Abimelech and Got Away (MSG)


David outwitted Abimelech by pretending to be crazy, insane, by feigning madness and because of his escape, he gave praise back to God.  The background story can be found in 1 Samuel 21:10-15, if you would like to refer to it later.

Brueggemann notes that “this prayer is for those who find themselves resourceless against the powers of this age, and then are remarkably released for new life.” (The Message of the Psalms, 133)

Do you ever feel resourceless against the powers of this age?  [Pause]

In Keeping Holy Time, edited by Douglas E. Wingeier, I read the following about Psalm 34: “…the psalmist lives in brokenness, affliction, fear, and destitution.  But he did not wait for the good times to offer God praise. Life is the way it is, says Psalm 34.” (341)

Think about this.  David experienced brokenness, affliction, fear, and destitution.  He experienced fear for his life in this particular situation that we find in 1 Samuel and God gave him a way out.  He offered God praise.

Do you experience brokenness, affliction, fear, or destitution?  [Pause] In these or whatever situations you find yourself, are you able to offer God praise? [Pause]

Life isn’t easy nor is it fair.  There is much going on in our world.  And because we grew up being told to not talk politics or religion, many of us don’t.  Now, there is good in not talking about those things. Sometimes.  Yet, the harm is that we haven’t learned how to have holy conversations, how to listen well to people who differ from us, nor have we learned how to have conversations in which we can agree to disagree.

In the midst of politics, in the midst of preparing for General Conference 2019, in the midst of so much pain and suffering… if we, as followers of Christ, cannot be leaders in guiding courageous conversations, then who?

Holy conversations, courageous conversations allow us to talk about difficult topics and truly listen to what others have to say.  We listen without demeaning the other, without demonizing the other, without interrupting the other.  It isn’t easy to learn to listen to others when we don’t understand or when we have fears of our own.

As Wesleyans, we recognize that we are shaped by Scripture, Reason, Experience, and Tradition.  The acronym “R.E.S.T.” is one way to remember those four.

Our perspective on life and situations is filtered through each of those. 

Holy and courageous conversations with one another on difficult topics will help us understand one another, hold a space of grace for one another and allow us to practice loving God and one another.

I learned this past Friday that we lost another kid in community.  This time it wasn’t a high school kid or a graduate.  It was a 12 year old. I don’t have the details, but we were asked to open our doors here at FOUMC to allow the family to meet after the service.  We were able to make that happen, after Mary spent most of the morning making calls because several of us were going to be out of town on Saturday when they needed it.  Then the community representative called back and they had procured another location.  I am so glad we had been able to work it out, even if we didn’t need it. 

But it touched the edges of borders for me—I just did a service two weeks ago for a young man.  I thought of him and his family.  I thought of my friend Pagiel and his family.  Pagiel attempted last year, at age 14, but did not succeed.  Though he lost his eyesight, he will tell you he is able to see so much more clearly these days than before.  He has a remarkable story to tell.

We need to listen.  When we don’t listen, people shut down.  They feel they can’t share their thoughts.  Especially as followers of Christ, we need to create safe spaces of grace for people to share.

I know this personally.  As a high school student, I thought about suicide.  I wrote a poem about it and shared it with someone close.  That person told me it was stupid to have those thoughts.  I didn’t know why I was struggling until much later at the age of 21 and things I had repressed came out.  The point is that I needed a safe space of grace to share,  even if it made someone else uncomfortable.

I have dedicated myself to listening.
                                                                                      
The Psalmist David went through all kinds of things in his life that he likely would rather not have shared with people.  But in darkness, shame can grow and we can feel isolated.  In the light and love of Christ, healing and wholeness take place.

As I continued reading in Keeping Holy Time, I read these words: “God’s faithfulness, no matter what the circumstances, remains constant.  God rescues.  God delivers.  God redeems.  God saves.” (342) 

No matter what our situation is—our personal situation, our national situation, our worldly situation— one constant is Creator God.  As the Psalmist reminds us in the Psalms of disorientation, we don’t always recognize or feel the presence of God.  There are dark times.  Yet, today’s Psalm reminds us that even in the dark times, we can seek out the goodness.

Over the past week I have seen a couple of memes of new life—trees coming out of dead stumps and tiny flowers growing out of broken cracks.  This has reminded me of God’s goodness.  Even when I think there is no longer any hope, that the stump is dead or nothing can grow, there is always a chance for new life when a space of grace is open.

It only takes a crack of openness for grace to break through with the light and love of Christ. 

Where have you seen new life crack through? [Pause]

In Keeping Holy Time, the last sentence states, “Trusting God’s goodness, we can “taste and see that the Lord is good” and count ourselves “happy [as] are those who take refuge in [God]” (Ps. 34:8)” (342)

May we become so spiritually hungry that we seek to “taste and see”.

Amen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click HERE to listen to the sermon.

Bulletin cover.

"Why the Psalms Today?" (referenced in the sermon)


Psalm Prayer by Jerry Webber (used as a responsive reading in the service)


No comments:

Post a Comment