Monday, May 13, 2019

Psalm 23-- Peace and Rest in the Shepherd's Care

Yesterday's sermon was another Psalm.  Psalm 23.  Two churches.  Two similar, yet different sermons.  Different examples shared while preaching, some different thoughts shared, yet overall, it was the same message.

You can read the transcript below.  As always, what is typed and written, isn't always what is said.  You can listen to the recorded sermons to hear exactly what was said.

I will include a few links that are referenced in the sermon, one to a podcast and one to some lectio divina Scriptures.

Maybe there is something in the sermon and/or in the Scripture for you as you read this.

Peace,

Debra
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


“Peace and Rest in the Shepherd’s Care”
Psalm 23 (NKJV)
May 12th, 2019 (4th Sunday of Easter/Mother’s Day)
Flintstone UMC / Simpson UMC

Psalm 23 (NKJV)

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD.
THANKS BE TO GOD.                      
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the 4th Sunday in Easter.  “He is risen.”  (“He is risen, indeed.”)

Easter Sunday wasn’t the end.  It was the beginning.  Have you noticed how the disciples still had questions and doubts, even after Jesus did what he said he was going to do?!?!
                                   
We can relate to that, can we not?!

As we continue to live into the Easter season, today we are focusing on the lectionary reading from Psalm 23.  I am preaching the Psalms for the month of May.

Every now and then I teach and preach on the Psalms.  This week I saw a quote by Don Saliers that affirms us spending time in them: “When we study and sing and pray Psalms, we are teaching Christ to one another.”  (Don Saliers, Academy Podcast, Episode 21)

Today’s Psalm reminds us of the shepherd’s care.  I chose to use the NKJV because I imagine most folks are more familiar with the older KJV of this Psalm, as I am and the NKJV is very close to it.

How many have Psalm 23 memorized from childhood?

How many have read it recently in a different version?

Hear the Psalm in a different version:
(MSG)

1-3 God, my shepherd!
    I don’t need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
    you find me quiet pools to drink from.
True to your word,
    you let me catch my breath
    and send me in the right direction.
Even when the way goes through
    Death Valley,
I’m not afraid
    when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd’s crook
    makes me feel secure.
You serve me a six-course dinner
    right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head;
    my cup brims with blessing.
Your beauty and love chase after me
    every day of my life.
I’m back home in the house of God
    for the rest of my life.

What lessons do you get from today’s passage?  What captures your attention this morning?

This past week, I was driving down Moses road, headed to Boy Scout road, and out of the corner of my eye I saw sheep.  Lots of them.  I’ve seen horses in that field before, but not sheep.  I got to the “t” in the road and had to make a decision.  Do I continue on my path to work or turn around?  I turned around (safely and legally) and went back.  Though it wasn’t long, they had already made their way up the hill, grazing peacefully as they meandered in the grass.  There were baby ones and older ones.  I watched for a few moments and then headed on into work.

It struck me as great timing to see sheep in a field the week before I was going to speak and teach on the Psalm that mentions them and the “great shepherd”.  Like I said, I don’t recall ever seeing sheep there before. 

I have been around sheep when I was on an archaeological dig in Israel.  They are stinky and dirty, nothing like the fluffy white cotton ball ones we used to make for crafts in VBS.

I observed the sheep in Israel following the well worn path back to their shelter, grazing some along the way.  One day I noticed a shepherd waiting for them at the pen.  Another day I observed a sheep giving birth.  Unless they were out grazing, the sheep stayed close to the shepherd and the pen, their shade. 

In today’s Call to Worship, we said these words in response: “We follow the Shepherd.”  “We trust the Shepherd.”  “We are fed by the Shepherd.”  “We live in the Shepherd’s care.”
Are those responses accurate?  Think for a moment.  Be honest with yourself and with God as you reflect.  Maybe it isn’t EVERY single moment, but your heart’s desire is to follow and to trust the Shepherd.  You want to be fed by the Shepherd.  You are seeking to grow and to go deeper in your relationship and you can say that you live in the Shepherd’s care. 

The Shepherd desires an ongoing and growing relationship with the sheep.  We are the sheep of his pasture.

What happens when we go from saying this Psalm individually, to saying it collectively with a focus on the church body?  [Turn to page 137 in your hymnals.  We are going to add a few words prior to “The Lord is my shepherd”.]

“I, Flintstone United Methodist, the Lord is my shepherd. […]
“I, Simpson United Methodist, the Lord is my shepherd. [….]

Do you experience anything differently when you recite this as a congregation?  Does it change anything for you?  As a body of followers of Christ, what does saying it together AS the body do for you?  That is something for reflection.

Another way to take this text and use if for reflection is to read it in the lectio divina style (‘sacred reading’) so that we concentrate on a word or phrase that sticks with us as we read through the passage several times.  The four phases for lectio divina are: read, respond, reflect, rest.  We have practiced this method in the studies I have led.  I encourage you to try this on your own. (time to practice in sermon??)

We learn from Psalm 23 that God is a good host, providing food, drink, and shelter for guests, just as the shepherd does for the sheep. (Keeping Holy Time, Year C, page 171)

FUMC, you are a good host by providing cold water and shade to cyclists.  What a ministry.  It is one that has been percolating for a while in the dreaming and visioning sessions.  The idea came from another church in connection on Signal Mountain.  The response has been overwhelming.  LOTS of shares and comments.  Over 8,000 views, 33 comments, and 63 shares—and that is just the main post, NOT the shared ones… that have also been shared, viewed, and received comments. (at the time of writing).  Folks are appreciative.  Your hospitality is being noticed.  We still have some work to do, to get the word out to the bike clubs, to build relationships, keep the water cold and flowing, etc. But, wow, what a great start.  Thank you.


SUMC, we have many great gifts to offer the community—we have a spacious fellowship hall, a brand new nursery, a beautiful sanctuary.  In the fall, we host the Ridgeland Football team to a pre-game dinner—one of the best they have, according to them.  We host the Sunday afternoons at Simpson quarterly, inviting community for wonderful music.  We just added in a wonderful edition for Lent with the Stations of the Gospel.  Continue to pray, dream, and vision how God can use this space, this land for God’s glory and the good of the Kingdom.  What opportunities of hospitality might arise?

We recognize that God, as the great shepherd, provides our ultimate sustenance, protection, and security.  (Keeping Holy Time, Year C, page 172) Because of God’s care for each of us, we have peace and rest in the shepherd’s care.  Not just as individuals, but as a community.

As we go forth today, may we hear and follow the true shepherd of our souls who calls our name and desires to offer us peace and rest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call to Worship: 

L: Come, walk in green pastures.
P: We follow the Shepherd.
L: Come, lie down in green pastures.
P: We trust the Shepherd.
L: Come, dine at the table of abundance.
P: We are fed by the Shepherd.
L: Come, dwell in God’s house.
P: We live in the Shepherd’s care.



Psalm Prayer (during service)

Night and day, all creation declares your glory,

     Holy God.
Yet you call us into covenant
     And reveal your will for our lives.
Your perfect instruction renews life;
     Your commands can be trusted.
In humility may we serve you, O Lord,
     Our rock and our redeemer.  Amen.

~Richard Eslinger, The Upper Room Worshipbook, 88A, 1985.


--------------------------------------------------

LINKS: 

(A link for lectio divina with 30 Scripture passages to jump-start the practice)

(A link to the Don Saliers podcast mentioned in the sermon)
--------------------------------------------------

RECORDED SERMONS:




No comments:

Post a Comment