Friday, October 22, 2021

Reflections from Psalm 124

new life stemming from acorn
(photo taken by me)

Psalm 124 was recommended to me several weeks ago. I got around to reading it this morning and the accompanying letter/sermon from a baptism that went with it. The best version of Psalm 124, I was told, to read was that of Nan Merrill from her Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness.  No problem, as that has become a special version for me.

I invite you to read Nan Merrill's Psalm 124 prayerfully:

If it were not for You, O Beloved,
            You who make all things new,
Fear and chaos would reign
                        in every heart; in You
            will I trust forever.
When doubt threatens to overwhelm
                        and separate me,
            when anger makes me blind,
Then You, O Merciful One, are
                        ever-ready
            to Awaken the holy, the sacred
                        within me;
Then do your Living Streams of Grace
                        enfold me.
Blessed are You, who are a very
                        Presence to us,
            a comfort to troubled hearts!
Grant us the strength of eagle wings,
            the courage to soar to new heights!
Break within us the bonds of fear
            that we may live with love!
Our guidance comes from You,
                        O Counselor,
            Blessed are You, O Giver of Life!
            Beloved of my heart!

You may want to read through the Psalm two or three times slowly. As you do that, what captures your attention? What speaks to you or resonates within you?

For me today, I am reminded of these things:

God, the Beloved:

  • makes all things new
  • awakens the holy, the sacred within me
  • enfolds me with living streams of grace
  • comforts my troubled heart
  • grants me strength and courage
  • helps me live with love
  • guides me
  • gives me life
It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day busyness of life and to not take time to to reflect on who and whose we are. This Psalm allows me to remember who and whose I am and that foundation is crucial to my being and my doing.

In addition to the Psalm, I was encouraged to read the letter/sermon to the child that was baptized. What a gift that letter will be to that child as they grow older.  "Always remember you are valued by God and deeply loved by the Creator." Yes! No matter what happens in life, what we do or what is done to us, that truth is a non-negotiable.  Oh, to help all of us remember that, especially in the difficult moments.

For anyone who needs to hear that truth today, you are valued by God and deeply loved by the Creator. If you don't believe me or the quote above, check out Psalm 139, any version.  You will find in that Psalm that you are valued and deeply loved by God, the Creator.

Would it help to personalize the statement?

Try this: put your name where the blank is in the sentence below and say it out loud.

____________, you are valued by God and deeply loved by the Creator.

OR

Change the pronoun to the first person and say "I am valued by God and deeply loved by the Creator."

If speaking this truth out loud is too difficult or a tad bizarre, try writing it out.

It may also help to use other names/titles for God that are meaningful to/for you.

The bottom line is to realize and remember who and whose you are and live from that truth, trusting that the One who created you will continue to 
  • make all things new
  • awaken the holy within you
  • enfold you with grace
  • comfort your troubled heart
  • grant you strength and courage
  • guide you
  • give you life

Enjoy the adventurous journey, 

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment