Monday, October 4, 2021

Day 2 of the 5 Day Academy-- "God's Life" Wasting time with God and God IS everywhere

Today is Day 2 of the 5 Day Academy at Trinity Center, yet the 1st full day of the rhythms, as yesterday was travel/arrival day.  After 12 hours of traveling (9 hours and 34 minutes of driving PLUS stops for coffee, gas, and a seafood lunch on Emerald Isle = 12 hours total), I got checked in and settled in and then hit the beach before evening activities.  Oh, what a joy to get to walk down those steps, walk on the beach, and get in the water! The last time I was here for a Hearts on Fire retreat in the summer of 2018 I didn't get to do that because it was right after my left hip surgery. 

My first 5 Day Academy was in 2010 at Camp Garner Creek in TN.  That was life-changing for me in so many ways-- the people I met and the connections and relationships, not to mention all the God-talk and introduction to the bilingual 2 Year Academy. Link for Academy for Spiritual Formation.

My 2 Year Academy was 2011-2013.  One of the faculty presenters in that journey was Jerry Webber. He is a presenter this week.

In thinking about Christian mindfulness and Scriptures that mention God creating, one of the things on my mind in my afternoon silence and reflection time was the thought that 'God IS everywhere'.  Jerry Webber had mentioned that in his session and had also mentioned statements that we tend to say such as 'God showed up'.  Think on that one for a moment.  We do say it, don't we!?!  Now, REALLY think about it.  God was, is, and always will be.  So, how is it that God showed up?!?! What truly and really happened is that we were made aware.  We saw. We heard. We paid attention. 

As I thought through this, part of my reflection was that I feel/sense God most near water or in the woods, etc. Being in creation is a big part of my spiritual connection with God and spiritual practices.  It isn't that God isn't elsewhere.  So, what IS it?

It is that I can slow down, I can become aware, I can watch/see, I can listen. I am more attentive.

I am awake to the Divine Presence around me and inside me.

Walking on the beach I found some heart-shaped shells.  I saw a heart-shaped leaf later in the day.  Hearts remind me of God's love. #seeaheartshareaheart

One person shared tootsie pops with us after asking the age-old question: 'how many licks does it take...?'  That made my day.  I have written about tootsie pops and this question before. In fact, I think it came up once at my 2 Year Academy.  Amy Oden, our morning presenter said, "Tootsie Pops as a spiritual practice" after the gentleman shared his reflection with us. That made me smile so big!

PREVIOUS TOOTSIE POP POSTS:

I wrote three Haikus this morning in the morning silence reflection time.



Breath across water
causing gentle, rolling waves
Breathe in me, God's breath


wasting time with God
a favorite thing to do
brings rest to my soul



Jesus said, 'Come! See!'
reflection on the water
peace and rest for soul

I saw a tiny crab this morning and several this afternoon.



This set-apart time is a gift. It is a gift to see God everywhere, to waste time with God, to come and see, to listen, to engage in holy conversation, etc.

Though I don't know where the adventure leads, it is good to be on the journey.

I will close with a Gaelic blessing, of which the first line is found on a plaque at the beach here: 

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Deep peace of the gentle night to you.
Moon and star pour their healing light on you.
Deep peace of Christ, 
of Christ the light of the world to you.
Deep peace of Christ to you.


Rev. Deb

[All photos are mine.]




No comments:

Post a Comment