Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Sacred Sorrow

A blog post I read the other day from In Search of a New Eden by author Justin Coutts caught my attention. "The Deep Mystery of Sacred Sadness" was written in June 9, 2019 yet it resonates with the season of Advent and what I have been experiencing.  It also dovetails with Carol Collier's writings on lament that I shared in a previous post.

There were many noteworthy nuggets in it.  This is one that I posted in the comments because it "shimmered" for me, catching my eye.

"So, if you find yourself feeling a heaviness in your heart, don’t assume that means you are off track. If you find yourself mourning for the state of the world, then you are mourning with Christ. Do not fight the sadness, do not run from it. Be at peace with it. Be comfortable in it. And know that it is fleeting just like our meaningless lives. Learn to rest in the beauty of the Divine Sorrow. For not only are we empty in our being but God is just as much grief as love. If we are not tangibly soaked in the tears of Christ then we are not living in the truth. This is the sacred sorrow."

This whole quote is chock full of meaningful words.  Here are some that stand out to me:

  • 'Don't assume that means you are off track.'
  • 'you are mourning with Christ.'
  • 'Be at peace with it [the sadness].'
  • 'Learn to rest in the beauty of the Divine Sorrow.'
  • 'God is just as much grief as love.'

Toward the end of the piece is this phrase: "the sorrow of God is peaceful and even beautiful."

You can read the entire article here: The Deep Mystery of Sacred Sadness

Maybe the mention of autumn colors (next to last paragraph) and their beauty as they signify death captures my attention as I continue to observe the beauty in the leaves as they let go, as they fall, as they return to the earth. (See photo at the top that I took on a walk.)

I invite you to share what catches your attention as you read this piece.

May Divine Sorrow add to the adventurous journey, 

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment