Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 in review


I decided to reflect on this past year and do a yearly reflection post.

2022 highlights

January
  • Starting off the New Year hiking at Fall Creek Falls with Charlie, Cliff, and Riley (the retired guy) on our way home from a short get-away
  • Attending my niece's baby shower
  • My great niece was born!

February
  • Minister's Convocation in Pigeon Forge with Amy Oden (making it two times in 5 months I got to hear her speak)

March
  • 18 year Anniversary

April
  • Charlie's 21st birthday and our surprise trip to NYC to celebrate with him!
  • First time to be able to do Easter sunrise service in cemetery! at Forest Hills
  • Residency #3 at Columbia Theological Seminary in the Spiritual Direction program

May
  • I attended my first wrestling event in Red Bank with Charlie

June
  • attended MooFest in Athens, TN for my 2nd year
  • Holston Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska with extra days for hiking
  • Family trip to Park City, Utah so my dad could visit his sister!

July
  • Officially began family leave of absence and working for my parents-- family ministry
  • FUMSDRL/HOF virtual retreat with Carrie Newcomer

August
  • Family trip to a cabin in Hayesville, NC
  • Family trip to Grassy Creek, NC
  • I tested positive for Covid for the first time (and only so far)

September
  • Charlie flew back to NYC for school-- and I said good bye outdoors from a distance
  • Went to Welcome Home of Chattanooga with Riley to meet the director (and have been volunteering ever since)
  • Gave Sanctifying Grace talk on an Emmaus Walk

October
  • Had our 40th High School reunion-- how did time go by so quickly!?!?!
  • Charlie flew in for the weekend and we attended a super and wonderful wedding!
  • Colorado trip-- spent time in Grand Lake and got to see cousins, hike, etc.

November
  • Residency #4 at Columbia Theological Seminary in the Spiritual Direction program (final residency)
  • Went to Buccee's for first time

December
  • Reconnected with former Bryan College student at the Erlanger waiting room
  • I gave blood again for the first time in a long time! I am O- so I like to give blood.
  • Charlie came home for the holiday break
  • Got to spend Christmas Eve with family and share in family dinner and game playing and gift exchange
  • Spent the last 3 days of the year hiking a total of 10 miles

There are many other activities, events, and adventures that happened in 2022. Brunches, coffee meetings, phone calls, lunches, dinners, etc. 

Overall, it has been a year focused on family. I have been able to visit with cousins who have traveled through here or near here and we have traveled to see them. We have spent much time with our grown kids and that is a gift. I have spent time with my family of origin and that, too, is a gift. We have seen Riley's brother and sister and extended family.  Wonderful times.

I hiked quite a bit this past year. Though I didn't record all the hikes, I did record 30 hikes this past year, totaling 56.39 miles and 34 and a half hours of hiking. I didn't quite make what I did last year in 2021, which was 72.33 miles, 38 hikes, and 45 and a quarter hours of hiking. A great hike I haven't posted about yet was during our Colorado hike. I might go back and post that one. It was around a lake and in the woods. It had snowed and was beautiful.

I didn't ride my bike hardly at all in 2022. I can definitely beat this year's record. I clocked 17 miles. Last year I rode 154.44 miles. In 2020 even more. One reason for not riding was rain. Another has been getting into my schedule going back and forth to Dalton. A solution is for me to put the bike on the bike rack and take it with me. Then, I can stop and ride.

Though I didn't record all my walks, I did record 67.57 miles of them. That doesn't come close to the recorded 220 from last year, but it's okay. I was still moving. 

I have room for improvement in the realm of exercise. 

2022 was a year of transitioning for me.... transitioning out of pulpit/church ministry into family and family business ministry. I'm still learning, but I've learned quite a bit about the businesses. I still get to preach some and do other types of ministry that use my gifts and graces.

I meet monthly with Bamboo Encounter, an outdoor worship service. That's a great time of worship in God's creation that brings peace and wholeness to my soul.

I meet with a Spiritual Director, a therapist, a Supervisor, and directees monthly. These connections offer me perspective, healing, life, and glimpses of the Holy Spirit working in mysterious ways.

As I look back through 2022, I recognize that I am guarded about a good portion of it. There was hurt and pain, but I have been working on healing. It has been my goal since reading Henri Nouwen years ago to be a "wounded healer" rather than a "wounded wounder".  There are times when I think I might write about the wounds, the hurt, the pain, the rejection, etc., but I'm not ready yet. I may never be. My focus is on healing so that I am a wounded healer, more whole, more compassionate, more fully me.

Marty was a big part of 2022-- our grand-dog. He and Cliff get along wonderfully. He comes over to play and hang out. He evens stays over. 

I got a wall of built-in bookshelves this year too! Thanks to Riley and Randy! These were intended to hold the books that were currently on four ladder bookshelves and the books at the office. I don't know what happened, but books must multiply. :) 

As 2022 comes to a close, what photos best reflect this year for me? Well, you can look at all the hiking posts to see hiking photos.

Other than that, here are some that I selected:


Happy Father's Day! Utah

family time in Utah

Utah--Bridal Veil Falls

Utah adventures!

Lake Junaluska

Me and Elmo on Pentecost Sunday

Moo Fest

Wrestling Match

Wrestling Match

Marty and Cliff

Baby Stella-- October

NYC Surprise Bday trip

Baby Stella

Marty (young Marty)

My new bookshelves

Fall Creek Falls, 1/1/22



Peace into the New Year!

Deb

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year! I used your photo of my favorite falls on my blog today. It brought back pleasant memories.
    https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2023/01/collecting-my-thoughts-for-thursday.html
    ~~~ Bonnie

    ReplyDelete