Thursday, December 29, 2022

Holiday hiking at Big Soddy Creek Gulf

                                      

Yesterday we experienced some temperatures in the 50s (Fahrenheit), so I took advantage of that and spent some time in the woods. Since yesterday was the 4th day of Christmas, I guess you could say it was "holiday hiking". More appropriately, it was "holy hiking". Hiking is a holy thing for me, as it allows me time with the Creator.

I went to Big Soddy Creek Gulf, a "go-to" for me. Though I didn't take Cliff (our dog) with me this time, I had promised him I would take him for a walk, so I got home in time to take him for a short walk before sunset at the Greenway Farms.

Due to the recent cold weather, there was still plenty of ice in the creek and on the rocks. It was great to see the icicles and the frozen water in the creek. Even portions of the waterfall were frozen.

I crossed the creek and went left for a while, going to the coke oven on the right. Then I turned around and went back and kept going past the creek crossing up the hill. I haven't been up that way in ages-- since we hiked down it from another location. I knew from that hike and from a friend's recent post that there were waterfalls and swimming holes along the creek. I wanted to see some of those yesterday.

I hiked up and found a good spot that I could get to, where the trail went to the left on up the hill. It was a gorgeous spot and would be great in the spring and summer too. Evidently this has been a spot for many over the years because a carving on a tree was dated "1954" and the path wasn't hard to find.

I noticed a flat and circular rock and picked it up. Upon inspection, I saw a heart indention on it. :) That was cool. 

There were people out hiking, walking, running, and fishing, but it wasn't too crowded. There were people by themselves, in family groups, as couples, with their dogs, and with kids in strollers.

Well, it was crowded enough that I needed to park in the overflow parking when I arrived, but there was still plenty of parking there.

It was a pleasant time in the woods, in nature, in creation. Listening to the water, seeing the ice, seeing decorations on a tree (well there were 4 decorations in all). Sitting on rocks, looking up at the clear blue sky, and enjoying the fresh air. 

It is always good for my heart, mind, body, and soul to spend time in and among the trees, near water, walking or hiking. It is nature therapy, creation therapy for me. It is a spiritual practice for me. I didn't take my hammock this trip, but there are some great hammock places to hang out. That can be for another day.

If you are so inclined to enjoy the outdoors, I hope you will get out there somehow, someway and do it! If you're not able to for whatever reason, I offer my photos below to get outdoors via photography.

May your journey be adventurous, 

Rev. Deb


Here are my photos from yesterday's adventure at Big Soddy Creek Gulf:






























2 comments: