Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Nature time heals!

If you follow my blog, you might notice the theme of nature in my writings. I have always been drawn to nature, creation. Yet it is in recent years that I've come to realize that nature heals, that nature is part of my self-care/soul-care, and that spending time in nature is a spiritual practice. Who knew that something so simple, spending time outdoors in creation, could offer so much?!?!

Yesterday as I was riding my bike through the Chickamauga Battlefield and enjoying the canopy of the trees and the wildflowers, it came to me how much nature time truly heals, offers me self-care/soul-care, and is one of my spiritual practices.

It isn't that I didn't know that before. I did. During the height of the pandemic, I spent as much time as possible outside, in nature. Sometimes that meant being in my backyard. I spent time in the hammock or looked for mushrooms or checked out what happened to be budding or blooming at the time,  or I would be on the patio or deck. It's a practice I had prior to pandemic and one I have continued since the worst of pandemic ended. Sometimes I find cool things blooming in the front yard too, but the back yard is my go-to, with all the trees.

Worship in an outdoor space monthly also feeds my soul. I am able to do that through Bamboo Encounter, which is part of Wild Church Network.

On my walks and hikes (and even my bike rides), I am on the look out for interesting things in nature.

This past Monday I went to a new-to-me place to walk. I found a tiny turtle, a robin's egg, some very cool trees, a pond, tiny creeks, etc. It was a wonderful place and I plan to go back.

My nature/outdoor shelf of books continues to expand slowly. Two books that relate to this post are Steven Chase's book Nature as Spiritual Practice and Rochelle Calvert's Healing with Nature.

Though there are many nuggets to quote from both the above books, here is one quote apiece:

"Spiritual practice in nature changes and transforms the mind and body and soul." (Chase, xx)

"Nature has an intrinsic tendency to thrive, and it always works with and toward a traumatic or difficult experience to find a new way of being and restore health. We can see this in the way a tree grows back after a limb is torn off by the wind, or a tiny patch of grass grows up through a crack in concrete. In nature, healing is supported by interconnection." (Calvert, 3-4)

Some past posts on nature and/or creation: (for others, you can search "nature" or "creation" on my page)

There are MANY more posts on nature, creation, being outdoors. I didn't realize how many until I just looked. It is obvious that nature is a big part of who I am.

Peace on this adventurous journey!

Rev. Deb

Selected photos from Monday's walk at Rocky Face Ridge Park:










Selected photos from Tuesday's bike ride at the Chickamauga Battlefield:






No comments:

Post a Comment