Thursday, February 8, 2024

Remembering Mahoney

"God of Resurrection Light:
In your love I live, and in your life I am lifted out of the darkness of every difficulty. Today, I pray to deeply remember that you are drawing me out of the shadows and filling my heart with a song of prayer: When in darkness with no light but that which in my heart does burn, you, Lord Jesus Christ, bring the warmth of love. Amen."
~Peter Traben Haas
Centering Prayers, p. 32

DHS, class of 1982

Mahoney.

I don't know what about *today (March 20, 2023) caused you to come to mind, Mahoney, but you did.

As I was making my Monday drive to Dalton, out of nowhere you entered my thoughts.  It was everything together: you and me riding the bus together when we were little and your Dad was the bus driver; to our text messages, our visits, and our phone calls; and then your celebration of life, way too soon. 

I looked up your obituary to see if March 20th held any significance, but your passing was in January-- 3 years ago. And your birthday isn't this month either. 

Tears streamed down my face as I remembered our youth and as I remembered our visits at Siskin and on the phone, texts..... 

Life is so dang short. I am grateful for you, Mahoney. Alicia. 

But we always called each other by our last names. Many of us did. 

We had our DHS class of '82 40th reunion this past fall (fall of '22). We remembered you and our other classmates who have gone before us, all too soon.

Today, I remember you. I give thanks for you.  Though I may not understand the tears or the memories, I am grateful for all of it. 

Love you Mahoney,  

Pittman

Addendum:

This is what I posted on January 27, 2020 upon learning of your passing: 

"My high school classmate. My bus buddy as kids. My band friend. My friend. Mahoney. (Last names were what we used.) A privilege to walk some of the last couple of years with her, though I wish I could have been there more. So grateful for the visits, the texts the calls.  Peace, dear one. Comfort and peace to your family. #DHS82"

This is from a different post on January 27th, 2020: 

"Grieving the loss of a classmate with whom I just exchanged missed calls and texts two weeks ago today. Wishing I had spoken with her instead of just texting. Grateful for the time I have had with her these past several years in visits and texts and calls. Thinking of her family.  Peace on this day."

I started this note to you last March, 2023. It was odd that you came to mind on that day. Maybe that date was one where we texted or visited.... or maybe it had no significance. 

This year, 2024, I unexpectedly found your grave site on my Monday evening walk on January 22nd . I thought about you and our visits, your funeral..... I miss you. 

It was truly an odd unexpected moment to come across your site. I walk the cemetery some, but rarely that section. I walked it that January evening because I was remembering when my Dad and I wrecked on his motorcycle coming down a steep dirt hill there. 

Finding your grave allowed me to think through all the times again. Thanks for receiving my visits at Siskin! 

Life is short. I am grateful for how you made my life better.

Peace to you, friend.... Pittman 

*I originally began writing this in March of 2023. But couldn't finish it. Today I found the '82 yearbook and am able to finish it, adding some words and a photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment