Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's only the 2nd week of my semester, and I'm already feeling the "crunch"...

My spring semester started last week.  That's right.  Last week.  So, this is week 2.  I'm taking one course this semester.  That's right.  One course.  But, it's a "doozy", as they say.  I'm taking "Theology of John Wesley".  We are to read 52 of John Wesley's sermons at a pace of about 5 per week.  Then we have chapters each week in and out of the 3 required books.  I am always a little nervous when required books belong to the professor, but honestly, I have been pleasantly surprised.  I am learning lots of new things from the books and I'm enjoying the writing style.  The sermons, on the other hand, are much more difficult to wade through.

As I have time, I am working on finishing an Academy book.  That is the only reading I am doing these days.

This week, I am preparing a sermon to preach this upcoming Sunday.  I wish I had written down all that was in my dreams Tuesday night as it seemed most of my night was spent on that sermon.  The sermon is still working itself out in me and it needs to get out.

Meanwhile, there is life and other responsibilities that are simply here and there.  And situations that cause concern, etc.  So, add all of this up, and I'm feeling the "crunch" here at week 2.

I turned to Jesus Calling this morning to see what might be there for me.

For February 21, the first line reads: "TRUST AND THANKFULNESS WILL get you safely through this day.  Trust protects you from worrying and obsessing.  Thankfulness keeps your from criticizing and complaining: those "sister sins" that so easily entangle you."

Yep.... those are good and helpful words for me today!  As I read on, into paragraph 2:

"Keeping your eyes on Me is the same thing as trusting Me.  It is a free choice that you must make thousands of times daily."

I think I need to make that choice more often.  In the midst of trying and difficult times and in the midst of normal busy life.

Today's words for the day are "trust" and "thankfulness".  I am going to attempt to live into these words today. 

The devotion continues: "The more you choose to trust Me, the easier it becomes.  Thought patterns of trust become etched into your brain.  Relegate troubles to the periphery of your mind, so that I can be central in your thoughts.  Thus you focus on Me, entrusting your concerns into My care."

Scripture references for today: Colossians 2:6-7; Psalm 141:8; 1 Peter 5:7

Trust and thankfulness, here I come.  The concerns, the assignments, the sermon, the situations, etc. can all be relegated to the periphery of my mind.  Easier said than done.  But, I know it will make for a more peaceful day if I can truly live in trust and thankfulness.

What about your day?  Would it be helpful for you to live into trust and thankfulness?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment