Monday, February 11, 2013

Taizé Worship Service


I went to my first Taizé worship service last night.  It was held at St. Marks Church Northshore.  This is a monthly Sunday evening service they offer.  I've been to a service before that included taizé-style music (to the best of my memory recollection), but this was my first entire Taizé service.

I walked in and the space was transformed into an intimate worship space for about 15-20.  There were chairs, sofas, cushions on the floor.  There were about 20ish candles lit around the space and some dimmer lighting on above.  There was a sand tray set out on a table with a cross and some rocks.  I later learned what that was for.  There were a few icons to gaze upon for reflection.  There were the paintings on loan from Hart Gallery that could also be used for contemplation and reflection.  There was a harp sitting in the corner.

I learned that there were about 15 folks last month at the Taizé service.  Maybe it was the chilly rain last night, but there was a total of 5 of us there.  That's okay.  The rest of the folks missed out!

What is "Taizé"?  Taizé worship comes from the French community of Taizé.  There is a village named Taizé south of Burgundy, France in which a community of prayer was created by Brother Roger in 1940 and continues.  People from all over the world travel there to join in their prayer and worship.  To learn more about the community in general, check out their website.

Taizé worship includes:
  • repetition of short, prayerful songs
  • Scripture readings
  • lengthy silence
  • prayer 
You may also be interested in their link to "Prayer and Song".

The setting was beautiful last night.  The music and Scriptures were just what I needed.  In fact one Scripture reading took me back to Soulfeast 2010.  These are verses that have been important in my life and I heard them read by someone who was there beside me then telling me I won't be burned as I go through the fire. 

Singing along quietly and listening to the beautiful voices was heavenly. 

Watching the candles flicker and hearing an occasional sizzle was divine.

The silence was golden.

There was a time for witness if someone had a testimony or meditation.  And one person shared about the light that was within each candle.  How some shone steady while others flickered and danced.  Yet, each had a light.  That light might shine differently due to circumstances around it (wind blowing through or the way the candle was made), but the light was within and shining.  The words she shared were much better than I can recall; it was a beautiful reflection.

During the prayer time, we were invited to light a candle and set it in the sand tray.  I lit three candles for three specific persons and situations that came to mind at that time.  A couple of other folks lit candles too.  The sandtray was beautiful to begin with, but was now lit up and shone in the darkness.


 
 



When it was all said and done, my heart, mind, and soul were at rest and at peace.  I was ready for the week ahead.  I knew with seminary class starting today and a mountain of other responsibilities this week, that I have a difficult week ahead. 

If you are in the Chattanooga area, I would encourage you to check out the Taizé worship service that St. Marks Northshore offers monthly.  Thank you St. Marks for offering this time and space for this type of a worship!  What a blessing!

There is also a Taizé service over towards Harrison at the United Methodist Center, though I'm not certain of dates.  They have held at least one, I know.  There may be others. 

Blessings on your day and week,

Debra

P.S.  Here is a copy of  the worship bulletin.  Sorry that it got a tad crunched as I tried to protect it in my jacket from the rain as I left last night.


 
 



1 comment:

  1. It was exactly what I needed too! While I too would have been quite pleased if more had shown up, I was sooooo blessed by our time together! It was a beautiful, beautiful service.

    ReplyDelete