Thursday, April 25, 2013

Listening for and to the sound of the One...

"There is an ancient harmony deep within the matter of the universe. All things carry within themselves the sound of the One."
 ~ John Philip Newell, A New Harmony
 
 
I found this quote on the Shalem Institute Facebook page this morning.  It was a "cause for pause" for me. 
 
Too often I find myself distracted by many sounds competing for my attention, to the point that the sound of the One is no longer distinguishable.
 
In order for me to clearly hear the voice, the sound of the One, I need to clear out all that other "noise".  It is very helpful for me to get out into Creation when possible because within Creation I can better hear the sound of the One as it resonates clearly from the surroundings.  But doing that isn't always possible, so sometimes I simply need to become still, to be silent and in solitude so that I can listen. 
 
Becoming still, becoming re-focused helps me to no longer be so distracted by the other sounds/voices, but rather to hear more clearly the voice/sound of the One, the Voice of Truth.  As I listen, there is peace and rest for my soul.
 
This author, John Philip Newell, is new to me.  In looking him up, I learned that he will be going on a pilgrimage from April 27--May 4 to Iona, Scotland, and other places.  Cool.  He has a website, SalvaTerra.  You can read his biography here.  Another interesting person from whom I can learn.
 
What a great thought to contemplate... that "All things carry within themselves the sound of the One."  Do you hear it?  Are you listening?
 
When you get distracted, what do you do to be able to hear more clearly the sound of the One?
 
Blessings as you seek to hear more clearly,
 
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment