Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Reflections from day #2 at session #8 of Academy #32-- alligator and assessment

 




This morning was a beautiful morning, though the clouds were out some.  When the sun came out, it was breezy and still cloudy somewhat.  Cool, yet not cold.  The water on the lake (Lake Griffin) was choppy before the morning prayer service and during the first reflection time.  It didn't really calm down until after the rain storm during the afternoon lecture.  The page where I'm at in my Advice from a River Guided Journal?!?! "Rough waters become smooth."   The waters did become smooth today.  So smooth in fact that I hoped I might see an alligator during the afternoon reflection time.

I was on the main dock and had been looking over the smoother waters.  Nothing.  But then I heard a "snort" behind me.  I turned and saw an alligator head sticking out barely above the water near the reeds, very close to the dock.  I was amazed and happy.  I watched it for a while, until it submerged.  It came back up later and swam off into the distance.  A little while later, I saw an alligator swimming back toward the dock, bobbing its head with the tiny waves.  Whether it was the same one or a different one, I do not know.  I watched it swim toward the reeds and go into them.

Seeing an alligator is a highlight for me on these Academy weeks at the Life Enrichment Center.  That may sound odd, but it is true.  In fact, it has become a part of my creation time and actually is a sacramental moment (per Leonard Boff's work on sacraments that I read several sessions back).  Watching the graceful creation of the Creator glide through the water somehow brings a peace and a calm into my spirit and is a beautiful thing to behold. 

Was seeing an alligator the highlight of my day?  No, though it was pretty good. ☺

Both sessions today were thought-provoking and helpful.  The faculty presenters this week are: Kathryn Damiano (morning) from Wichita, KS and Bishop Rafael Moreno-Rivas (afternoon) from Puerto Rico.   The focus of the morning session this week is "Sustaining our Life in Christ: A Rule of Life".  For the afternoon session the focus is: "Bearing Witness to the Reign of God in the World".

Though I'm not going to be able to reflect upon everything I'm thinking about and writing about in my journal, I will share some thoughts that have been on my mind today.

This morning's session got me started in thinking about what I have experienced these past two years and how I have grown / changed through the process.

I have begun to live into a rhythm of silence and solitude because of the Academy that has blessed me tremendously.  I have begun to live into my contemplative self.  I have learned to live into the questions, to not be so afraid of the unknown, and to continue living into the waiting times without needing or having to press for answers.  I am learning to listen more attentively to God.  I am learning to "be" instead of "do" and to balance more my "being" and "doing".  I have slowed down my pace of life significantly in the past two years, attempting to be more intentional and attentive to what I choose to do. I recognize that I am becoming who God created me to be and that the unfolding will continue, long after this last session of the Academy is over.

A tremendous blessing for me has been the bilingual nature of this Academy, plus some French thrown in (merci beaucoup, Stephane!).  Being able to speak Spanish and worship in Spanish has been a balm to my soul.  I have been part of a bilingual covenant group too.  In addition to the covenant part, the bilingual part has blessed me.

The English-speaking participants have been a blessing too.  There have been many conversations that have encouraged me over these past two years.  I have made connections within the body of Christ with brothers and sisters from all over that have significantly ministered to me.  And, like those episodes of "Survivor" when they go through the names at the end of the game and talk about the ones that are no longer there.... there are some people near and dear in my heart, mind, and soul that have needed to drop out for one reason or another... but they are still here in hearts and minds and memories.... and I am blessed by them as well. 

The team and the Academy staff have been incredible in supporting this bilingual Academy and working hard to make it happen.  The faculty over the two years have been incredible too.  I have been blessed by their presentations and table fellowship moments. 

I have been encouraged by what I have read and what I've heard as some of it has resonated deep within.  I have also been stretched by what I've read and what I've heard. I have grown in my spiritual journey.

I have been encouraged and supported in my personal journey as I have made decisions and lived through life things.

The reflections of the past to the present and preparing for the future have started.... they will continue.  There is a deep peace in my spirit and I am super grateful for this opportunity.

It is amazing to look back to that Fall 2010 5-day Academy in TN at Camp Garner Creek when I first learned of a 2 year bilingual Academy and had my breath literally sucked out of me...... and to fast forward to now to being at my final session of this 2 year journey. 

This week has only just begun.... I desire to remain open to God for whatever God has for me this week.  I have been blessed so much already simply by being here and re-connecting with community.

My journey of growth and change is not over.... it will not be over until it is truly "over".  I look forward to continued learning, growing, and changing. 

My goal is to love God and love others; to be more attentive and more intentional in the ordinary aspects of the daily life.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment