Friday, November 1, 2013

Book review and reflection from Climbing Mayodan Mountain


Climbing Mayodan Mountain: The People Who Could was written by Dr. Charles D. Killian, also known as Chuck.  It was published in 2006 by Empire Publishing, Inc. in Madison, NC.  The cover photo was taken by Connie Fox. 

ISBN: 978-0944019-48-1

This was one of my required reading texts for my PR 501 Foundations of Proclamation class at Asbury Theological Seminary this Fall semester.  Not having seen the book, but knowing that my professor was and is a storyteller, I was actually expecting a book on mountain climbing adventures.

Though the book is not about mountain climbing, it didn't disappoint me.

The author covers three years of his time with the Mayodan congregation and shares stories from his pastoral and congregational life in a down-to-earth manner.  As he states himself, these stories are a "collection of ramblings [...] intended to give you just a glimpse of the heart of this pastor and the indomitable spirit and character of this community of believers--a church that "could"." (foreword, page 5)

We learn about this community from Mayodan and what they have endured, how they have moved on, how they have helped others.  They truly are a community of folks who have remained strong in their faith.

The author's writing style resonated with me, making me feel that I was sitting down listening to him tell these stories.  I connected with that.  Maybe because his style is close to my own and therefore I was both encouraged and inspired to keep on writing. 

In addition, there were many "nuggets" (insights) peppered into the journal entries and I found myself underlining, starring, and note-taking in the margins as I read the book.   Nuggets related to pastoring, writing, relating with and to others, and basic experiences of life. 

Several times throughout the book, the author laments having put off the discipline of writing and mentions the importance of keeping up with it:

August 12, 2004--"I must get caught up with this discipline or it will escape me." (73)
February 6, 2005--"The discipline of writing is like any other discipline: if you don't stay at it, it will fade and falter." (102)
May 11, 2005--"I don't know why it is so difficult for me to keep disciplined about my writing.  I really enjoy doing it, but sometimes the press of duties and other 'stuff' get in the way of this part of my ministry." (114)

I can really relate to what he says about the discipline of writing.  It is a discipline.  And, as I've mentioned in other posts, it has become one of my spiritual disciplines.  Not all of my writing is a spiritual discipline.  There are papers to write for classes and there are basic journal entries.  However, for the most part, my blogging continues to be a spiritual discipline.  It is a time of connecting to God and others, working through aspects of the faith journey and sharing what I'm learning and experiencing. 

Like the author, there are times when I'm not able to write because of other commitments.  If I go too long without writing, I become antsy and edgy and know I need to get those things swirling around inside of me out.  For me, it means finding a way to balance the responsibilities so that I can write and reflect.  Some months I seem to be able to get more writing in than others.  The most I've posted in a month is 16 posts.  Last month I posted 13 posts.  But, I digress...

Based on the author's journal entries, I know he is elated that the Red Sox won the World Series this year.  

From baseball to Brunswick stew to Smucker's to Cracker Barrel to K-Mart to ordinary and not-so-ordinary people and situations and experiences, Chuck Killian made connections to the faith journey.  In his journal entry for July 14, 2003 he wrote: "I keep seeing sermons all around me." (14) 

I would agree.  It is obvious in his writing.  He sees the teaching moment in all of life.  That is what is so compelling about this book. 

As you enter into this "conversation" and listen to what this storyteller has to say, you will be connected with the insights to the faith journey.

I recommend the book.  I believe you will be encouraged.

The only difficulty may be in finding it.  We needed to order it from the author/professor.

You can try emailing the publisher at info@empirepublishinginc.com for a copy. 

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

1 comment:

  1. Just came across your blog through a site and found it interesting and informative, will definitely keep visiting for more.Thanks!
    Spiritual Comics

    ReplyDelete