Thursday, November 28, 2013

Step by step...taking the first one is often the most difficult.


"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I have been thinking about that quote lately.  I looked it up.  It is credited to Lao Tzu, a mystic philosopher of ancient China. 

There can be many ways to reflect upon this quote and many meanings to gain from it.

On the first day of October my plans for the day got changed.  Since I was near Front Runner, an athletic store, I thought to myself 'why not go get a good pair of walking shoes since I've not had a new pair in at least 12-15 years?!?!'  Since I didn't argue with myself, I went straight to the store and tried on a couple of pairs of shoes.  My thought was that if I got a new pair of walking shoes then I could start walking on a regular basis because I would have proper fitting and proper supporting shoes.  My other thinking was, 'hey... it is my birth month and why not?!?'

So, I found a pair of shoes and made a leaping investment.  Figuring out the years that I had not bought a pair of shoes, it seemed very economically sound to me.

At my Taekwondo class that day I mentioned to a friend my new purchase and plan to start walking.  We started walking daily.  We walk a mile to two miles daily.  We walk inside the mall if it's raining.  Otherwise we walk at pocket wilderness, the greenway, portions of the river walk.  Once we walked a track. 

I also walk on my own and with my husband and family at other times.

I'm not attempting to walk a thousand miles.

My original goal was simply to walk.

I knew it would benefit me.  I knew that the added exercise would be good for me.  I knew that time in the woods would also benefit my soul and mind.  Mind, body, soul.  There was no way to lose with this!

Well, I have been losing.  Weight, that is.  And, that is an extra blessing to the walking.  Not unexpected, yet not one of my goals for walking.  However, it fits in with my overall goal getting my weight to a lower number. 

So, I'm walking.  Step by step.  Mile by mile.

Since mid-October I have walked 51.5 miles as of today (per Runkeeper application).  I have walked more than that with basic walking and the times I don't keep track [I started walking October 2 and didn't start using Runkeeper until October 15th.  So, I've actually walked more than this, but who's counting?!?! ☺].   My pace is increasing slightly as I go along.  But, that's not a goal yet.  Not until I start training for some sort of 5K. ☺

This is my story of taking the first step.  Literally.  Into walking, into a healthier me..... physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

It all started that first day back in October when my schedule was turned around and didn't work out the way it was supposed to and I felt the "nudge" to go buy shoes. 

I followed up on that nudge.

What nudge has been pushing gently on you or inside you?  You know the one.... you can hear it, but it's quiet.  It's a small voice.  You almost think you didn't hear it.  Listen again.  Listen carefully.  Then, begin.  Take the step.  Begin the journey.  Whatever it is. 

If you're willing to share what is nudging you, please do.  If you're willing to share your story and your journey, I'd love to listen.

Blessings on your journey... step by step,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment