Monday, November 4, 2013

Encouraging worship time... living generously...

Yesterday's services were both encouraging worship times for me.

I knew going into Sunday morning that I would be leading prayer time for the 9am service and I was grateful for the opportunity to serve in that capacity.  And though I'm glad my Associate Pastor was able to be at home resting and recovering from last week's surgery, she was missed by many in the congregation (myself included).  Last month I was able to lead in prayer for the 9am service and that was a blessing too.  It is something I enjoy doing and was part of a rotation several years back.

What I didn't know until Sunday morning was that I would be helping with communion too.  That's not a big deal because I'm ready and willing to help serve as needed.  It's also not a big deal because I've helped with communion many times now, doing the liturgy in several settings and serving in many more settings. 

But, somehow, Sunday morning, when I got into the Sanctuary and went over the parts I'd be doing, it struck me --- I've never "done" a communion service at my home church.  I've not done the liturgy part there in that congregation.  And, for whatever reason, I suddenly got nervous.  In my moment of nervousness, I sought out a dedicated prayer warrior whom I knew would pray.  We exchanged prayer requests and I let it go.  I also thought of the time I served communion at an Academy session with my clergy friend Marysol from Puerto Rico.  That gave me reason to smile. 

It's not always easy to worship when you're participating in the worship service.  It is even more difficult when you shuffle the items in the bulletin around and forget to mark them on your copy. ☺ It all worked out and we all worked together to get things done. I was able to worship through the music on both the piano, the organ, and the songs sung by the choir.   The choir sang "Blessed Assurance" as a call to worship and "I Remember You" prior to communion.  Both drew me closer to the throne so I could worship.

In the communion liturgy we remembered those in our congregation who had passed this past year.  All Saint's Day is always a special time to remember the saints in our lives who have gone before. 

The sermon was the last in a series of living generously.  We watched the final clip, "Seed Time" and I was encouraged by the changes in the character's life (Frank) that had taken place over the past several weeks.  With God, giving isn't just giving, it is sowing.  Sowing is a wonderful investment that will reap much. My pastor preaches with his heart and soul. When he is touched something, you know it.  He was touched yesterday.  He said he wanted to change the world and be part of a movement and I took that as a challenge for me too.  I want to be a part of that change and movement.  With God as our Master Landscaper we can be tools in the re-landscaping of our worlds so that we are changed first.  As the Spirit is sown with us, the Spirit will be sown in the lives of others in our path. 

The challenge / question(s) that he left us with was: How will I serve the Spirit? / What is God asking me to do through His church? (with my energy, my resources, my time, etc.) / How can I partner with God?

Good questions to contemplate!

Go to rhemedia.com or vimeo (and search for rhemedia.com) for some clips from the "Living Generously" series. 

You can go to the rhemedia website by clicking here.  They are the ones that make the films.

You can also check out the Generosity Trust website.  Here is the direct link to generosity training. This will take you to a preview and information about the "Living Generously" series too.

Though the sermon series came to an end yesterday, "living generously" isn't over, it is just beginning.

It's time to spend some serious contemplating on those challenge questions and then step into living a more generous life!

Blessings on your journey!

Debra

P.S.  There was one thought I had during the service that I thought would have been cool... for the pastor to take a handful of seeds, like the gardener Ray in the video clip, and throw them up in the air.  It was "seed time" and time for sowing.  ☺ However, that probably wouldn't have gone over too well.  I guess one could always throw packets of seeds, thus not requiring a massive clean up afterwards.  It was just a thought.  Something visual.  Something tangible.  An extra take-a-way. ☺

(2nd service.... great music, energy, and sermon for the 2nd time.  This time I enjoyed it fully as a participant and even caught more of the video clip by watching it two times.)



No comments:

Post a Comment