Thursday, November 21, 2013

Planning and living into my Year of Jubilee


50.  The Year of Jubilee.

I'm not really sure what I've thought about the big "50" until now.  What do I think about it?  I'm excited.  Though I've not thought a whole lot about it, I started thinking about it as my 49th approached.  I had planned to go hang gliding for my 50th birthday (since it didn't work out earlier in life).  Yet, as my 49th approached, I felt the urge to simply go ahead and do it.  And, I'm so glad I did!  If you haven't figured that out from the three blog postings I put up on my experience. ☺

I had one friend ask -- 'now what?'  Now that I have flown to great heights, what will I do for the 50th?  Great question.

At the very end of October, I collected on my free Starbucks coffee drink.  I didn't go skimpy.  Would you?  I had these thoughts that days: "Thanks Starbucks! Happy free birth drink to me! Love that perk on the rewards card! Alas, today ends the celebration month. But... The year of 49 will continue on with many more adventures! Gearing up for 50 and beyond!!"


I had an Academy friend respond to that, saying: "Time to plan your jubilee."  This put the idea of "Year of Jubilee" in my mind.  It resonated with me and I have been contemplating that.

I found an article in Focus on the Family by Penny Musco of one woman's experience. 

I don't know about a party yet, that's a long way off.  What I may do is implement what a fellow board member did for her 60th this year.  She planned several gatherings and outings and invited folks to join her.  That's a cool idea.  Folks went to the functions they could, they were able to celebrate and fellowship in a variety of settings.  This idea resonates with me more than a party.  I can see activities from dinners to opportunities to serve to maybe a concert (depends on who's in town or close enough) to a road trip to hiking to pottery shopping to.... who really knows?!?!

I have time to think about that. ☺

But it's not just the celebration of turning 50.  I do want to contemplate all that has brought me to this point.  And though it doesn't sting as bad as it used to, there was a time in my life that I honestly didn't think I'd live beyond 33 years old.  That's because one of my dear family members died at that young age and for some reason, it imbedded deep within my psyche and soul that I might not live beyond that age either. 

In these 49 years I have experienced more, traveled more, learned more, done more, dealt with more, seen more, been blessed with more.... than I could ever have imagined.  Maybe I will attempt to create a list at some point..... of all the blessings, all the relationships, all the places, all the experiences.... WHEW! 

I have had my share of difficult and horrific situations in my life.  But there has been TONS of grace and forgiveness extended to me along the way.  I consider all those situations a blessing to be part of who I am today.  Yeah, I know... there's not a whole lot of detail there.  But if you want to know, I'll share.  There are stories about catching a brother on fire, breaking a collarbone, burning a friend's leg on a motorcycle ride, wrecking with my Dad on a motorcycle in a graveyard, marriage, divorce, pregnancy, etc. 

What do I look forward to most in planning my jubilee?  The intentional focus on my relationship with God and others over the past and into the future.

I am free and desire to continue living this life reckless, with abandon. 

What does this mean for my celebration of the year of jubilee?  I don't know.  I hope it means that I continue to love well, to live well, to seek forgiveness when I don't.  I hope that I'm able to risk vulnerability and be transparent enough to show the love and light of the One who created me and has sustained me to this point.

There might be more hang gliding. 

There might even be a 1/2 marathon..... where I walk, not run.  I'm not sure my restored ACL and exercise-induced asthma could handle me running.  However, I won't rule it out.

There will likely be at least one testing for a higher rank in taekwondo... at some point.

I imagine there will be continued learning and growing, beyond my comfort zone.  And, that's good.

My plan is to live the 49th and 50th fully!  Living fully won't mean being on the go all the time either.  There will be times of quiet, silence, solitude.... In fact, it might be time to go on a silent retreat for more than a 1/2 day.  ☺  Or, at least take off to the beach or a cabin somewhere! ☺

Whether my themes will follow the Biblical ones in the article that Cindy followed (release, redemption, restoration) or whether God puts some other themes on me is yet to be seen.  I will take time to contemplate what this special time can mean for me.

Whether you've already celebrated your "Year of Jubilee" or are nowhere near it, it doesn't hurt to think about your life in terms of living into each and every year that you have to celebrate.  

Is there anything specific you hope to learn, experience, share, etc. no matter which number happens to be on this particular year?

Blessings on your journey!

Debra

P.S. As for a cake.... what would it be if I submitted to some sort of celebration?  It would need to be a combination of at least the following three:  motorcycle, hiking, taekwondo.  That would be one wild cake!







No comments:

Post a Comment