Thursday, November 14, 2013

Clearing mental space in order to focus... spiritual mental dump (download) time.

Today is one of those days for me. 

I'm on a fairly tight schedule. (Okay, I can hear several people now saying 'When are you not?')  But really, I just got back in from my morning walk and delivering the latest motorcycle parts to the shop for my bike.  I have an evaluation to fill out for a classmate's sermon.  I have taekwondo class in less than two hours.  I need to start writing my final ethics paper (GULP!) due Monday (ANOTHER GULP!)  And, I agreed to speak at the Wesley Center tonight, sharing the sermon I prepared for my preaching class.  But, it needs to be changed because it is a different setting and a different audience.  So, in the background of my being, there is a sermon swirling around inside of me.

Additionally, there are life lessons, experiences, books read (The Homiletical Beat: Why All Sermons Are Narrative by Eugene Lowry), a book I'm reading (The Preaching Life by Barbara Brown Taylor), songs that keep coming up on the radio, quotes from Jesus Calling devotions, conversations, reflections on all of the previous, ETC. that are SWIRLING around in my heart, mind, and soul.

And, in order for me to concentrate on the aforementioned assignments, I must clear out some mental space so that I can focus.

Basically, I need to do a spiritual dump (download).  Yes, that's right.  At some point I hope to be able to come back and flesh out the thoughts and reflections..... but for now, I need to dump (download).

It will likely be random for most who are reading this.  But, that's okay.  It is usually random for me.

Songs I continue to hear over and over on the radio point blank hit the mark where I am and where I want to be and live into.

Words and lines such as:

  • "I wanna live with abandon..." (Newsboys from the song "Live With Abandon"-- see below)
  • "I want to live this life unsafe, unsure, but not afraid..." (Audio Adrenaline from the song "Believer") [previously shared on another blogpost]
  • "Let your light so shine..." (Josh Wilson from "Pushing Back the Dark"--see below) [new for me]
  • "your love is all I have to give..." (Brandon Heath from the song "Your Love")

Newsboys


Lyrics: "Live With Abandon"

Chasing after this world makes me tired
Praisin' my own name leaves me dry
 
There's gotta be so much more to life than this
A higher calling that I missed
I want my life to count, every breath
 
I wanna live with abandon
Give You all that I am
Every part of my heart Jesus
I place in Your hands
I wanna live with abandon
 
I'll drop everything to follow You
It's only Your hands I hold onto
 
There's gotta be more to life than this
A higher calling that I missed
I want my life to count, every breath
 
I'm not looking back
I'm done with that
Wanna give You all I have
 
 


Josh Wilson


Lyrics: "Pushing Back the Darkness"

Verse 1
One million reasons why, you shouldn't even try.
After all you're just one heart, a single candle in the dark.
And there are shadows here, feeding on your fears,
That you don't have what it takes - who are you to make a change?
 
But oh, oh, don't underestimate the God you follow.
 
(Chorus)
Whatever you do, just don't look back.
Oh somebody needs the light you have.
Whatever you do, just don't lose heart.
Keep on pushing back the dark,
Keep on pushing back the dark.
 
Verse 2
The city on a hill, it should be shining still.
Every sinner saved by grace, has a purpose, has a place
Inside the bigger plan, we might not understand.
But if we just keep walking on, we will see the Kingdom come, yeah.
 
(Chorus)
Whatever you do, just don't look back.
Oh somebody needs the light you have.
Whatever you do, just don't lose heart.
Keep on pushing back the dark,
Keep on pushing back the dark.
 
(Bridge)
(Let your lights all shine...)
Oh, oh, don't underestimate the God you follow.
He is the light that burns inside your soul,
So keep on shining 'til the whole world knows.
 
(Chorus)
 
(Let your lights all shine)
When you feel like you're too small
(Let your lights all shine)
To do any good at all
(Let your lights all shine)
Like a sunrise through the window
(Let your lights all shine)
Like a symphony crescendo
(Let your lights all shine)
We are waking up again, we are rising from the dead
(Let your lights all shine)
We are shining like the stars, we are pushing back the dark
(Let your lights all shine)
Yeah, we are pushing back, pushing back the dark
(Let your lights all shine)
We are pushing back, we are pushing back, pushing back the dark
(Let your lights all shine)
Just pushing back, we are pushing back, pushing back the dark
(Let your lights all shine)

 -----------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhhh.......... the space is freeing up already.  Though there ARE many more things swirling around that I WANT to write about and COULD write about, I NEED and MUST direct my attention to my studies and other responsibilities for the moment.

I hope that my spiritual mental dumping (downloading) ground was somewhat refreshing if you found yourself reading along.  At least there was some music and lyrics to check out.

What is swirling around in your heart, mind, and soul these days? 

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment