Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Knitting... a way to calm the soul

I was finally able to attend the knitting group last night that started meeting several months ago.  At first I had conflicts with a meeting on that time, but now we meet on Tuesday evening.  I can't remember all the conflicts, but last night, the only thing holding me back potentially was going to be my weekly homework assignment.  But I was able to get it done in the afternoon.

I made some banana bread and grabbed my knitting bag and waited for my ride.

Yes, I have a knitting bag.  I used to include in my blogger autobiography that I was a "knovice knitter", but I took that out, feeling that I couldn't claim it really.  Yet it is true.  I am a knovice knitter and have been for four years now.
my knitting bag that I got from the store where I purchased the yarn 4 years ago ☺
Four years ago after SOULfeast 2010, I got some beautiful yarn in Asheville, NC and started learning.  Back then, the neuropathy from the C5 and C6 in my neck and the frozen shoulders still made it difficult to go long periods, but I would do what I could.  I learned the basic stitches of knit and purl.  But I also messed up quite a bit and didn't have my teacher around lots.

I did find my way to the Genuine Purl shop once in these past 4 years for some practice and help. 

And I did get some other help along the way.  And I know I have worked on the piece several times, had it torn out several times (and I tore it down once myself too) and have started over).  But, I can't remember the last time I picked up the needles prior to last night.

I was looking forward to attending this knitting group last night because it was/is more than just knitting (literally-- you can bring any craft you desire to work on).  It is a time and space for folks to share their spiritual journey with one another, to check in, to grow, etc.

Being my first time, I didn't know what to expect.

But having learned from Kathryn Damiano at the final session of our 2 Year Academy about active silence, I sat in silence and focused on knitting for the most part. 

I met some new people last night and reconnected with others I hadn't seen since Easter. 

I also reconnected to the basic movements of knit and purl.

Nothing magical happened with my knitting.  In fact, it got ripped out and now I am being held accountable to start my scarf (one of my intended projects 4 years ago). 

 
my "tie" as I kept added stitches to it. ☺
the beginnings of my scarf
Nothing magical happened in my soul, though I was comfortable in my own skin the entire time, at peace, and that says quite a bit. 

Opening up spaces for people to share their spiritual journey with one another, to check in, to simply "be"..... an important part of the journey that doesn't always happen.

Kudos, dear friend, for listening to the inner voice and obeying it to begin such a group!

May we all open up spaces in our days to share the journey with others, to check in, and to simply "be" with one another.   May we also be intentional to have those spaces in community, especially if they don't exist in our current ones.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment