Saturday, August 9, 2014

Sharing what we learn on the journey ... for the sake of others

Yesterday a friend posted a devotional she received via email on Facebook and it caught my attention.  It read:

August 08 2014
Today, God's message for you is that in order to be an effective leader you must share your knowledge and create more leaders rather than harbor it and create more followers. A true leader will choose to empower rather than overpower.
 
I later learned that Joy gets this devotional daily from God's Daily Message to You.  I couldn't find a website other than a Facebook presence, but their Facebook site posts all sorts of quotes to encourage people in their day. 
 
As I reflected on that short, yet compact paragraph, there were several things that stood out to me:  effective leader, share knowledge, create more leaders, true leader, empower.
 
I guess it caught my attention and resonated with me because that is my heart's desire, to live into this type of leadership. 
 
We are all leaders, in one form or another, whether we recognize it or not.  We all have the opportunity to take what we are learning and share it for the sake of others.  That is kingdom-minded orientation.  That what we learn and experience isn't solely for ourselves, but is for others, to be passed along, shared, multiplied.  I've seen and heard that learning in several places, including the Bible.  Yet, I think it was when I read and heard it from Bob Mulholland that it struck home as it was applied to our being spiritually formed.
 
In Invitation to a Journey:  A Road Map for Spiritual Formation, Mulholland writes: "Spiritual formation is a process of being conformed to the image of Christ for the sake of others." (12)
 
My process of being conformed to the image of Christ isn't solely for my own growth and benefit.  It is for the sake of others.  My spiritual formation process / journey is to be shared with others along the way. 
 
This isn't new to me.  I share things quite frequently with other folks.... via this blog, via Facebook, text messages, and emails.  Sometimes even phone calls.  If I feel the nudge of the Spirit to share something or reach out, I usually do.  Though sometimes I question it or hesitate.
 
Guiding others through darker passages isn't as easy, but I know God has equipped me for that too.  I know that my spiritual formation process / journey has allowed me many experiences that allow me to walk the difficult paths with others.  It is a blessing and privilege for me to share in those times with others.  Sometimes it is simply ministry of presence.  At other times, the experiences that I have been through are allowed to be shared.  
 
It is because I have been there on those paths that I am able to walk alongside others on their paths. 
 
It is because I am willing to share what I have learned and am learning with other others that allows them to see the possibilities ahead.
 
In being authentic journeyers on the path, we can all be this for one another.  We can all share in the ministry of presence and share what we are learning, spurring one another on to growth and healing in our formation process / journey.
 
What is something you've read, seen, or heard lately that you've shared with others?
 
Blessings on your journey!
 
Debra
 

No comments:

Post a Comment