Thursday, August 7, 2014

Lessons from Frog and Toad...characters in children's books by Arnold Lobel

Last night I picked up Terry Hershey's The Power of Pause: Becoming More by Doing Less to read a chapter.  I've been randomly reading chapters since I purchased the book at the retreat in MN a couple of weeks back.  This book contains many powerful nuggets.

The chapter that caught my attention last night was: "Without a List".  It was in the category of stillness/sanctuary, a category that I enjoy immensely.  (I honestly enjoy ALL the categories and find myself learning, growing, and being affirmed and encouraged from each one: need/desire, stillness/sanctuary, awareness/astonishment, contentment/embrace, choice/becoming, and freedom/celebration.)

I started reading the chapter.  There was a quote by Kathleen Norris about life going on at its pace and paying attention to the time of day based on the sunrise and sunset rather than the clock.

The very next thing is what caught my attention, made my heart leap, and took my mind on a journey.  There was an excerpt from Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel

Frog and Toad.  Oh, how I haven't thought about these characters in several years.  I didn't read these books growing up, but I used them to teach ESL at Hixson High School as a volunteer tutor under Scharlene Ringer.  I had worked for her at Red Bank High previously and then got to work with her at Hixson High.  I created many lesson plans based on the stories of Frog and Toad.  They are great for learning vocabulary and the English language.  That reminder for me was another connection in my many connections with Hispanic ministry throughout the years.  How could I have forgotten Frog and Toad?!?!

What followed for me was a trip down memory lane reminding me of my ESL teaching experiences and connections (I had already been thinking through all my Hispanic ministry connections earlier in the week). 

What also followed was the reminder of all those lesson plans I had created..... somewhere on a back up drive for a crashed computer.  It would be nice to do something with all those ESL lesson plans based on Frog and Toad.

Lastly, the many life lessons of Frog and Toad came back to me and I began to search for my collection of Frog and Toad books that I used to teach ESL.  I could only find one.  Frog and Toad Are Friends.


The story that Terry Hershey quoted was from Frog and Toad Together about the wind blowing Toad's list out of his hand.  Toad was upset that his list was gone.  Frog wanted to help his friend, so he suggested they run to catch it.  But Toad wouldn't do that because running after his list wasn't on his list. 

That story creates for me 'a cause for a pause'....Hmmm.... trapped by the list. Has that ever happened to me?  Has that ever happened to you? 

Truthfully, I have been more organized in my life once I started doing lists.  I was able to keep up with things better.  Writing things down helped me.  Crossing them off or being able to throw away the list was freeing.  Grocery shopping is more streamlined with a list.

But, there are times when a list can be confining and like Toad, if it isn't on the list, then it may not happen.  I am learning to write in new things on the list, to do away with the list, and even to be okay with not getting all things done on the list.  (HORROR!!) ☺  What that ultimately means for me, is that the list isn't controlling me, but rather it is a tool/resource to enhancing life.  As it works, great.  When it doesn't, revise.

And, there are times, as Terry Hershey points out in this chapter "Without a List", that it is appropriate and needed to throw out the list in order to be in the moment. 

To get all the other nuggets from the chapter, you'll have to read it.

To learn more of life's lessons from Frog and Toad, check them out.  I may reread some of Arnold Lobel's stories and share what they teach me.

May you be blessed by something unexpected and refreshing today on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  If you want to use Frog and Toad for ESL or even English as a first language, I just found a website ("I can read!") with DOWNLOADABLE activities!  I wish this had been available when I was teaching this... I could have saved time and energy from creating my own activities.

Frog and Toad Together video-- Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment