Monday, May 21, 2018

A day in Mentone for the Rhododendron Festival, May 2018

I have never been to the Rhododendron Festival in Mentone, AL before.  But since I learned that a new artist friend Donna Godwin was going to be there, some of her longer-time friends and I headed up to see her and check out the festival.



It turned out to be a gorgeous day.  And for me, it was good to be back at Brow Park.  Oddly, even though Riley and I have visited Mentone off and on, I forget to go over to Brow Park.



We ate lunch at Wildflower Cafe, my second time there.  This time we had entertainment. A gentleman with a guitar and tamborine toe-tappers.  I might add I was jealous of the tambourinne toe tappers.  He went around serenading all, even singing songs for the kids.

The festival had plants, food, art, photography, soaps, pottery, freshly roasted coffee, tie-dye, wood work, iron work, etc.  It wasn't too crowded and we ambled along, seeing the booths, smelling the aromas, and seeing the sights.


One of the aromas that got my attention was the coffee that was freshly roasted on site by Apison Creek Coffee Roasters.  I tasted a sample of the bold roast and the smooth flavor sold me on a bag.


After the festival we went over to Desoto Falls to check it out. There were folks enjoying the sun on the rocks up on the top part and folks below swimming in the big pool area.  There was a pontoon ride for 45 minutes for $15, but we didn't do that this time.  Hopefully they will be back another time.  It would be neat to go back up river without being the paddle power, as I was in my camper days.






We stopped at Miracle Pottery on our way down the mountain.

I experienced grace there.  A humbling moment of grace.  I had scoured the place for something to possibly buy, but couldn't find the right item. Then, I saw these tiny flower vases and I was going to get one for Charlie.  Charlie loves plants and flowers.  My hands got shaky with the one and only colored vase of the one I picked out and it dove to the concrete floor, chipping its rim.  I knew it now belonged to me, but the store keeper said it would go on the discount shelf, that I wasn't obligated to buy it.  Wow. Grace.  It should have been mine.  I should have had to pay for it. But I didn't.  That humbled me.  I went out to the car to check my blood sugar.  It wasn't dangerously low, but is was 115, low for me for a mid-afternoon.  I had a mint to raise it some.  I was willing to buy the chipped vase, but also glad to accept the grace extended to me in the moment to not have to buy it.

It isn't always easy to accept extended grace.  It is easier to extend it. However, receiving grace is as important as extending it.  I was humbled and blessed by that experience.

We checked out two more stores before getting on the Interstate to head back to Chattanooga.  Two antique stores.  One in Valley Head and one in Hammondville.

It was a great day of fellowship, fun, and overall peacefulness.

It was a day of enjoying the beauty of creation, art, and just being.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment