Thursday, May 17, 2018

Hixson High School Art Program Won!


https://customculture.vans.com/

I am a proud parent today.

Not just today.

I am a proud parent quite a bit of the time.

Just this week a picture came up on my Facebook timeline reminding me of Mr. Milton Hershey from the 5th grade Ganns Middle Valley Elementary Wax Museum.  Wow!  Charlie did a great job of researching Mr. Hershey, preparing for that role, and even being a still wax figure on that day.

May 16, 2012
This Vans Custom Culture competition has been a huge deal.  To go from 500 to 50 to 5 was INCREDIBLE.

You can check out their website here or read my previous blogposts on it:

Art Competition-- VOTING begins Monday, April 23rd
Update on the Vans Shoes Art Competition-- Top 5!


Today was the day that the schools would find out who won the Grand Prize of $75,000.  Charlie and the other art kids wore their newly created tie-dye shirts and Vans gear to school today in celebration of the $10,000 winnings.  The school was celebrating the students and the art program and the accomplishment of being in the top 5.

Oh, the joy of hearing my kid's voice on the phone this morning when I returned a missed phone call.  Charlie could barely speak.  Charlie was so excited to tell me that they had won!  Hixson High won the grand prize, the $75,000.  Charlie told me it was pretty loud in the gym and I couldn't really be heard on the phone, but I was still able to express my congratulations to all the art kids and I heard Charlie tell the others, 'my Mom says congratulations!'

Photo by Doug Strickland, Times-Free Press, used with permission
And then I got to see some pictures and videos posted from teachers and the PTSA President at the school.  I saw my kid holding the check high in the air and jumping up and down in the live video, surrounded by the other art students who made this possible.  They were a team of 10.  They worked collaboratively on this project.  I am proud of all of them.

Photo taken by Matt McHenry, Hixson High Band Director
My heart overflows today.  These kids poured their beings into these shoes.

I am grateful to the teachers at Hixson High School, the administration, their fellow students, the community, friends and family (near and far).  There has been SO MUCH SUPPORT for these kids!

The art teachers have taken advantage of opportunities for these students and others to enter many contests this year.  Because of the space for creativity and the push to become better artists, many students have achieved accolades this year.  I am so glad the art program is now able to move forward in pursuing equipment on their dream list so that they can continue this great path.

My kid is a rising Senior and desires to pursue a higher education degree in art.  The exact path isn't known to me, but I have no doubt that this kid can continue learning and growing.

Charlie began art at an early age and was involved in KidZart in elementary school.  Then at Hixson Middle School, Charlie had a great art teacher, Michael Weger, who taught Charlie more skills and encouraged Charlie to enter contests.  Charlie won a prize through one of those contests. 

There have been a variety of genres taken up over the years: watercolors, sculptures, photography, drawings, mixed media, short film, and I'm probably leaving out something.

Way to go, Charlie!

Way to go, Hixson High art students!  Keep reaching out to do big things!  Pursue your dreams!

Way to go, Katie Claiborne!

Way to go, Vans!  (If you didn't support the arts like this, we wouldn't be celebrating today!)

To all who have poured into Charlie's life up to this point, whether you have been a caregiver, a coach, a relative, a friend, a teacher, a pastor, a choir director, etc! THANK YOU!  You are part of Charlie's success.

Check out the Vans Custom Culture Facebook page for their updates.

Here are some pictures of the winning shoes (in case you don't want to go back and read my other posts on them):

cave shoes, photo by art student Addison

Chattanooga shoes, photo by art student Addison

Have I mentioned how proud I am of my kid?


May your journey bring you some joy today!

An overwhelmed and proud Mom!
Debra

News reports/articles:

Times-Free Press  online article from May 17, 2018 with pictures
WRCB News Channel 3 Eyewitness News Facebook page from May 17, 2018
Fox Chattanooga News Article from April 23rd with May 17th update-- Something's Afoot

No comments:

Post a Comment