Monday, May 14, 2018

A Prayer for the Church-- yesterday's sermon

I wasn't supposed to be back in the pulpit yesterday.  But when I learned that my hip surgery was postponed, I scheduled myself back in the rotation so my co-pastor wouldn't have to move to a 2nd church on the Sunday his daughter was being baptized.  Since we had the early 10 a.m. services covered, I took the 11 a.m. service at Simpson UMC.  I hadn't been to Simpson in several weeks, so I was looking forward to being back there plus because I was going to only be there, it was going to be a rare occasion to attend the prayer group and a Sunday School class.  Because we travel there from another church typically, those opportunities don't happen.  Only once before when I first began this appointment was I able to attend a Sunday School class at Simpson and be there only.  We did that intentionally when I began the appointment to give me a chance to get to know people.

It was good to be able to be with the prayer group and the Sunday School class yesterday.  Both encouraged my heart.  It was good to be back in the pulpit yesterday.  I hadn't preached in a couple of weeks. The last Sunday of April I was at Women of Joy. And since my surgery was supposed to be on May 2nd, I had planned to be out on May 6th. Since we had a special guest planned for Flintstone UMC and my step daughter was in town, I took that as a vacation Sunday.  Planning for sermons and preaching itself gives me life, so it was good to be back doing a portion of what God has called me to be and do.

I had chosen the Scripture passage from the Ascension text passages from the lectionary readings, Ephesians 1:15-23.  The special music during the worship service was a song dedicated to mothers, but it dovetailed nicely with verses 15 and 16, "Every Time I Think of You".

Though this sermon was preached at Simpson UMC and has examples pertaining to its particular location, one can easily think of their particular location and community as they vision with the eyes of their heart.

In preparing the sermon, I kept hearing a clip of "resurrection power" running through my head.  I looked it up, learned that it was a Chris Tomlin song, and that it was just released this past January.  I shared some of the lyrics that are in the sermon notes.  There will be a video to watch at the end of this post.

As with any sermon, what I have written in advance is not necessarily what is shared in person. In the case of this particular sermon, I edited several things, but I'm not adding them in to the written sermon.  I added in some extra examples of community and I mentioned the Sunday School lesson we had earlier in the morning and the special music.  It is always a blessing to me when the Holy Spirit helps dovetail the service and details.

This prayer for the church that Paul had for the Ephesians is a prayer for all of us.  It's a prayer to live into.  May it be so.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra


“A Prayer for the Church”
Ephesians 1:15-23 (CEB)
May 13, 2018 (Ascension Day, 7th Sunday of Easter, Mother’s Day)
Simpson UMC

Ephesians 1:15-23 (CEB)

15 Since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, this is the reason that 16 I don’t stop giving thanks to God for you when I remember you in my prayers. 17 I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, will give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation that makes God known to you. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart will have enough light to see what is the hope of God’s call, what is the richness of God’s glorious inheritance among believers,19 and what is the overwhelming greatness of God’s power that is working among us believers. This power is conferred by the energy of God’s powerful strength. 20 God’s power was at work in Christ when God raised him from the dead and sat him at God’s right side in the heavens,21 far above every ruler and authority and power and angelic power, any power that might be named not only now but in the future. 22 God put everything under Christ’s feet and made him head of everything in the church, 23 which is his body. His body, the church, is the fullness of Christ, who fills everything in every way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD.

THANKS BE TO GOD.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the 7th Sunday of Easter.  Christ is risen.  He is risen indeed. Every day we live as Resurrection people.  How does this change the way we live?

Today is also Ascension Day in the church calendar and Mother’s Day in the general calendar.  We have much to celebrate.  On Ascension Day we celebrate Jesus’ ascension into heaven. For Mother’s Day we celebrate all who are moms or mom figures and role models to others.  We also recognize that this is not an easy day for those unable to have children or who have lost their moms.

As we look at today’s Scripture passage, what message does Paul have for the Ephesians that we can apply for our lives?  How can Paul’s prayer to the church help us put things into perspective for ourselves?

This prayer by Paul is a word of thanksgiving and prayer. He begins with the prayer in thanksgiving for a faithful and loving community:  verses 15-16 “15 Since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, this is the reason that 16 I don’t stop giving thanks to God for you when I remember you in my prayers.

Paul recognized the things that had been accomplished in Ephesus.  Think back a year here at Simpson.  It was a year ago May that we had the transformation in the sanctuary and rededicated it on Pentecost Sunday.  The faith in the Lord Jesus and the love for all God’s people is evident as we seek to make this place hospitable and welcome to all.  The nursery is being completed and we continue to look at how we can be a better facility to serve our community.

Paul goes on to pray in verses 17-18: “17 I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, will give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation that makes God known to you. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart will have enough light to see what is the hope of God’s call, what is the richness of God’s glorious inheritance among believers,

Here Paul asks for wisdom, revelation, and vision, for the eyes of the heart to see God’s call.

What a prayer!

Paul prayed that for the Ephesians in Ephesus.  Think about what that might mean for those hear in Rossville, for those at Simpson.  What wisdom, revelation, and vision, what eyes of the heart to see God’s call do we need in order to carry out God’s work in this community with the resources God has provided us?

When you pray for this community, what wisdom, revelation, and vision do you have?  When you pray for God to use this church to work in and with this community, what do you see with the eyes of your heart?  What is God making known to us here?

We know the basic vision of the overall church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

Yet, what can we do as Simpson UMC, in our unique setting, with our unique gifts, graces, and resources to join with God in kingdom work in this community?  How can we shine the light out of the darkness on this corner of the community and be a light of hope in the community? 

This ability to have a vision, to see with the eyes of the heart, is crucial to our spiritual health. 

Without a vision we will perish.  If we don’t recognize the gifts God has given us and if we don’t use them for his glory and the good of the kingdom, then we aren’t living into our full potential as light bearers or Christ followers.

We are called to envision what God has for us. By living into that vision we will fulfill the calling God has for us.  We can become the hope for others in the community as we continue to discern how to use our building and grounds, how to reach out to the community, how to share the love of Christ in community, how to work with other churches and organizations to accomplish more in community. 

Jesus modeled to us how to be the church and how to grow in our discipleship.  When he ascended into heaven, the Holy Spirit came to be our teacher to give us wisdom and to teach us. 

We are the hands and feet of Christ to do the work in the kingdom on earth. We are tasked to do our part, under the headship of Christ’s rule. Verses 22-23: “22 God put everything under Christ’s feet and made him head of everything in the church, 23 which is his body. His body, the church, is the fullness of Christ, who fills everything in every way.

Because of Christ, we have “Resurrection Power”. Listen to these words by Chris Tomlin’s song that came out earlier this year:

[Verse 1]
You called me from the grave by name
You called me out of all my shame
I see the old has passed away
The new has come!
[Chorus 1]
Now I have resurrection power
Living on the inside
Jesus, You have given us freedom
No longer bound by sin and darkness
Living in the light of Your goodness
You have given us freedom
[Verse 2]
That I’m dressed in Your royalty
Your Holy Spirit lives in me
And I see my past has been redeemed
The new has come!
[Chorus 1]
Now I have resurrection power
Living on the inside
Jesus, You have given us freedom
I’m no longer bound by sin and darkness
Living in the light of Your goodness
You have given us freedom
[Bridge]
Freedom, You have given us freedom
You have given us freedom, my chains are gone!
Freedom, You have given us freedom
You have given us freedom, hallelujah!
Freedom, You have given us freedom
You have given us freedom, my chains are gone!
Freedom, You have given us freedom
You have given us freedom, hallelujah!
[Chorus 2]
Now I have resurrection power
Living on the inside
Now, I’m no longer bound by sin and darkness
Living in the light of Your goodness
You have given us freedom!
Now I have resurrection power
Living on the inside
Jesus, You have given us freedom
Now, I’m no longer bound by sin and darkness
Living in the light of Your goodness
You have given us freedom!
[Outro]
I have resurrection power
Living on the inside
Living on the inside!
No longer bound by sin and darkness
You have given us freedom
You have given us freedom!

As we recognize today that Christ has indeed risen from the dead, ascended into heaven, and offers us an ongoing relationship of grace and freedom with himself, God, and the Holy Spirit, how will you (how will I) respond to that continuing beckoning of relationship? Will you and I seek to continue to grow deeper in our faith?

How will we respond to following Christ’s call to follow him into the community, to be the church he has called us to be?

May we continue to grow in our faith and may that faith be lived out so this community is drawn to the light and love of Jesus Christ that shines in and through each of us.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment