Thursday, March 30, 2023

Lenten labyrinth time--week 6



I walked/prayed the labyrinth at Burks UMC last night. 

It's a bit hard to wrap my head around that six weeks have passed, that Lent is almost over, that this Sunday begins the journey of Holy Week. The Lenten journey seems to have moved quickly. 

Last night's time in the labyrinth was calming, peaceful.  As I headed down the stone path toward the entrance, these words from a song came to mind:

"Lay down your burdens
Lay down your shame
All who are broken
Weary traveler come home"

Crowder-- "Come As You Are"


Those aren't all the lyrics (nor are they in order or 100% correct), but those are what came to mind as I approached the prayer path. 

Here are the full lyrics:

Come out of sadnessFrom wherever you've beenCome broken heartedLet rescue beginCome find your mercyOh sinner come kneelEarth has no sorrowThat heaven can't healEarth has no sorrowThat heaven can't heal
So lay down your burdensLay down your shameAll who are brokenLift up your faceOh wanderer come homeYou're not too farSo lay down your hurtLay down your heartCome as you are
There's hope for the hopelessAnd all those who've strayedCome sit at the tableCome taste the graceThere's rest for the wearyRest that enduresEarth has no sorrowThat heaven can't cure
So lay down your burdensLay down your shameAll who are brokenLift up your faceOh wanderer come homeYou're not too farLay down your hurt lay down your heartCome as you areCome as you areFall in his armsCome as you areThere's joy for the morningOh sinner be stillEarth has no sorrowThat heaven can't healEarth has no sorrowThat heaven can't heal
So lay down your burdensLay down your shameAll who are brokenLift up your faceOh wanderer come homeYou're not too farSo lay down your hurtLay down your heartCome as you areCome as you areCome as you areCome as you are

I allowed the words to stay with me as I walked the path.

I prayed for some people and situations that were on my mind. 

My senses were engaged as I noticed the smell of the grass and heard the sounds of the birds and a neighborhood lawnmower. I noticed the tiny flowers that were still there, purple and whitish and some stemmed purple things. A clump of clover even caught my attention because of its shape.




I blew bubbles as I neared the center, watching them float away.

I rested in the center, taking in the vast blue skies, the sounds of the birds, noticing the branch pile had been burned to ashes, noticing how the sun shone through the greenhouse. 




The ashes reminded me of renewal, of returning, of Lent

I got up, gave thanks, and headed out. 

When I got to the threshold,  I paused and took a deep breath, giving thanks once again. 

I sensed strength and renewal from my prayer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment