Sunday, March 5, 2023

Prayer-- Servants to ventures of which we cannot see


I am reading my way through Walking the Labyrinth: A Place to Pray and Seek God by Travis Scholl.

On page 92, this prayer caught my attention, as it reminded me of Thomas Merton's prayer:

O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Scholl refers to this prayer as an evening prayer and a "prayer spoken at the edge of darkness." (92)

The edge of darkness could also be named the unknown. Words such as "we cannot see the ending," "paths as yet untrodden," "perils unknown," "not knowing where we go"... these words are likely what remind me of Thomas Merton's prayer (I have posted it often on this blog.)

Upon searching for the prayer, it is found in Lutheran worship books, yet has an Anglican history. It has been used in graduation settings. It has been put to music.

It caught my attention because the UMC is in that place of unknown, yet trusting God's leading.

Additionally, as a parent and an ally, I am in that place of unknown, yet trusting God's leading as the state of Tennessee continues its slate of hate bills toward drag queens, transgender, non-binary, and LGBTQ+. 

So, I pray.

O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

And I put prayer into action. I keep up with the Tennessee Equality Project and other places to know what is going on. I send in my voice to legislation. 

What will my next action steps be? That is still a matter of prayer.

As I pray, I listen. I make time to be still. May Love speak. May Love win.

Peace, be still. 

Listen. 

Love.

Rev. Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment