Thursday, February 28, 2013

El Sol Mexican Restaurante on Hixson Pike


I've driven by it numerous times, but haven't had the opportunity to stop in for a meal.  Today I had the time.  I wasn't going to be able to go to taekwondo due to some reading I needed to do, so I decided a quick lunch on my way home would be okay.

El Sol Mexican Restaurant is at 4047 Hixson Pike and occupies the building that was once a hamburger place (Backyard Burgers), then it was Hillbilly's for a while.  It may have been other things too.  El Sol Mexican Restaurant has a FaceBook presence.  You can check them out by clicking here.

I am not sure how long El Sol has been there.  At least several months, but probably longer. 

There were about 4 tables occupied when I went in.  Several more people came as I was there.

The chips and salsa were brought out in good time and my drink order was taken.  The salsa was very tasty and the texture was just right-- not runny nor too thick.  The chips were fresh and crunchy, but not warm.

 
After looking over the menu, I decided on the "pollo alegre" from the lunch menu ('happy chicken').  Chicken breast with cheese sauce, beans and rice.  It also came with a side of warmed tortillas.

 
It came served on Fiesta ware (a plus in my book, as I like Fiesta ware).  The food was appeasing to the eye and quite tasty!

I enjoyed my meal there.  The only downfall for me is that I didn't hear enough Spanish.  It was bizarre for me to hear "Sweet Home, Alabama" over the speakers in the restaurant.  I don't know if that was from a radio station or other means of providing music.  But somehow, I think my brain was expecting Spanish music.

The servers spoke wonderful English, but that meant that I didn't really have that opportunity to speak Spanish either.  I still spoke some, here and there, but it didn't seem to catch on.

A group of three guys came in for lunch and sat in the middle of the restaurant.  They were speaking Spanish among themselves.  So, in the midst of "Sweet Home, Alabama", I could hear Spanish, though I wasn't trying to understand it.  It eased the foreign experience for me, though, helping me to feel a tad more at home.

On the way out, I noticed at the register they had posted "sun" in about 7 different languages: French, English, Spanish, Turkish, Korean, Italian, and I forget the others.  There were cards taped to the wood.  That was pretty cool in my opinion.  I enjoy a language learning opportunity.

Overall, the experience at the restaurant was a good one.  The food I had was good.  I wasn't super hungry, so I took my left overs to my husband at work.

I recommend the restaurant for those in the local area.  Don't let my disappointment of the lack of Spanish be an indicator.  I imagine most English speaking folks don't mind hearing English music in a Mexican restaurant.  Yet, I would hope to hear French in a French restaurant, etc.  But, that's me and my language and culture background.  It has nothing to do with food.

I think hearing more Spanish, whether through music and/or conversation, would have made today's experience better for me.  But, again, that's me.... and it says more about where I am and what I thought I wanted and needed than it says about the restaurant.

So, check out the restaurant.  Bon appetit, as they say in French.  Buen provecho as they say in Spanish!

~Debra

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that the folks at the Brewhaus don't seem to speak German, either. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete