Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"A Space of Love".... quotes and reflections from Macrina Wiederkehr's chapter in Abide

This morning's reading comes from Macrina Wiederkehr's Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God.  The key verses for Chapter 6 "A Space of Love" are Genesis 18:1-15.

Space of love... what a beautiful concept.  Macrina Wiederkehr equates this "space of love" to hospitality in this chapter.  It makes sense.  It resonates.  It fits. 

The opening quote for the chapter: "Offer hospitality also to the stranger who lives in your own heart."

This Genesis account is truly a great example of hospitality.  Abraham offers food and drink, and shelter from the sun to the strangers that come upon his place.  It causes me to chuckle, however, that Abraham tells Sarah to make bread "quick".  It is going to take a while to make the bread, kill and prepare the meat.  This meal isn't going to be ready in 30 minutes.  I guess "quick" had a different meaning back then. ☺  But that gave Abraham and the strangers much time to talk and share life.


Rublev's icon of the Trinity based on the three visitors

[For more about Andrei Rublev and an explanation about the Trinity icon, you can go here.]

Abraham and The Three Angels
Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (Spanish, 1617-1682)
For more on Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, check out this website from the WebMuseum, Paris.

There are many (MANY!) other artistic renditions of Abraham and his stranger visitors.  It is interesting to see how artists throughout the years and from many cultures have depicted the scene.  I found a Japanese stencil and a Vatican commemorative stamp in my search.

But, I digress.

Let me return to opening our homes and hearts to the stranger.

Macrina wrote: "When we reach out in compassion and love to other people, we are filling the space that surrounds them and us with love.  We are creating a space of love." (77)

Something to think about: "The way we greet someone mirrors how we are living." (77)  Macrina mentioned a Bedouin greeting that spoke to the guest as the host and the host became the guest, showing that the host was there to serve and was honored by their presence.  She included how folks in the past greeted one another with prayerful greetings.  I wonder, do our greetings these days offer a space of love to others?

"The more we journey into those deepening places of our lives, spending time there in prayer and creating a space of love, the more ready we become to treat all as we would treat Christ." (78)

"Hospitality is about having open hearts, not just open doors." (78)

The prayer at the end of the chapter:

"Oh Welcoming One,
     You are my guesthouse, my hermitage, my dwelling place.  Your hospitable spirit frees me from my nagging fears of not being accepted.  In my deepest moments of estrangement from myself and others I discover my home in you.  There is no lock on your door.  You are all openness.  Inspire me to be a guesthouse for others.  Take the lock off the door of my heart.  I long to be a space of love for everyone!  I yearn to be a place where all can be at peace and feel at home.  May the interruptions of my day become pathways of love instead of annoying disruptions!  Give me a welcoming heart.  Make of me your guesthouse.  Amen." (79)

I don't know about you, but I don't think I can ever hear too much about hospitality or opening my heart and door to others.  Gentle or not-so-gentle reminders are needed to keep my focus outward at times.

May we create and be spaces of love for others.... for everyone.  May all be at peace and feel at home in our presence.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra




No comments:

Post a Comment