Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bless the Lord, O my soul.... what a day!

Today started off with being able to sleep in because there was no school for my daughter!  That was nice.  My main responsibility today was to teach a women's Bible Study from 10am--11:30am downtown.  Today was our last meeting of the year until next Fall.  We finished our study of Esther today, finishing up with chapters 9 and 10. We also finished the last segment of the video we've been watching along with our study, Esther by F. Murray Abraham.  It is the only film version of Esther I've seen so far and it honored the biblical text for the most part with a few artistic licenses here and there. 


After finishing the DVD, we talked about visiting Israel for a while because the movie led us to think about being able to be in the places of Biblical times.  I shared about my trip to Israel in 2000, the archaeological dig that I took with Associates for Biblical Research while I was teaching at Bryan College.  What a great trip that was!  David Fouts led our group from Bryan.  We got to go through Paris there and back and I got to use French!  In Israel, I got to dig (at Ai--see the link above for Associates for Biblical Research), see sights, touch the Western Wall, visit Yad Vashem, go to Jericho, En-Gedi, the Dead Sea, Hezekiah's Tunnel, Herod's place, Abraham's tomb, be above Jacob's well in an area folks weren't allowed in typically in Samaria because of our guide, go to Bethlehem, etc., etc., etc.  Some of the highlights were having the Scriptures opened up and read in location.  Very powerful.  Thinking about that trip today and sharing about it is bitter sweet.  That trip was a highlight in my spiritual journey.  Then several months later is when I got pregnant, wrestled with God, resigned my teaching position, and started a journey in which I learned more about God's grace and forgiveness in a tangible way than I had previously. 

I would like to pull out all my Israel pictures and put them into an album.  Maybe I can even find my journal from those days.  I have a smiley face yamaka (skull cap) that I bought on the streets of Jerusalem. 

Thinking about Israel makes me think back on my Bryan College days.... 12 years of teaching there.  Time in which I grew as a teacher and in my spiritual journey.  Time in which I went through difficult times in my first marriage and then a divorce.  Then, after the divorce, I went through another difficult time.  John Wesley would refer to it as "heaviness and wilderness state".  I refer to it as my roller coaster from hell.  When you love God and live for God, yet then struggle with self and sin, it's not a pretty picture.  

After leading/facilitating Bible Study this morning, I didn't go workout at Taekwondo (TKD) today because my left hip started hurting yesterday when I stand and walk.  I decided that crescent kicks... any kind of kick wouldn't be good.  And the searing pain that shoots up from the leg joint wasn't something I wanted to endure today.  If the pain persists, I'll be going to a doc to get it checked out.  I've been told I had minor arthritis in that area before.... so we'll see.

This afternoon, I met with a friend at Panera, one of my favorite "third places".  She is a fellow Lay Speaker/Servant and we get together periodically to check in, share, and see how we can pray for one another.  I have been able to hear her share God's Word from the pulpit and she is one on-fire lady for the Lord.  She is one of several folks that energize me spiritually.

While there at Panera, I did two double takes.  One was right after I had gotten my drink and was going to sit down.  There was Michael Palmer, one of my former colleagues from Bryan College.  I have seen him off and on through the years since I left Bryan.  It is always a blessing to see him and catch up with him.  Just another reminder of all the wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ I had the privilege to work with and be around during my time at Bryan.

Then, as my friend and I were leaving, this gentleman walks in and causes me to do another double take.  He is supposed to be in California, or so I thought.  David Masoner.  He was my boss when I resigned my position those years ago.  We had several talks throughout the year, especially when he learned why I had resigned.  Before that situation, he and his wife were instrumentally used by God to prepare me to be back home with my first husband right before my husband left me.  We ended up being together in the Charlotte, NC airport waiting on our delayed flight.  And, unbeknownst to any of us, they ministered to me in a way that sustained me tremendously and prepared me to arrive in Chattanooga and deal with what awaited me that day and the next... and the days to come. 

David and I chatted for a few minutes.  They moved back to this area last June.  He is involved in ministry with Northshore Fellowship and helping the new startup on the south end/shore.  I told him I thought of him and Barbara often and had thought of them in the recent past.  He didn't believe me.  But I have.  I can't remember if it was a few months ago or when, but I have.  "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" has been an important hymn for me since that airport God time.  In fact, if David searched through my blog, he'll find that I've written about him and Barbara before. ☺ I decided to look that up and found that I had written a post in October 2012 about the Red Sea Rule #6 in which I mentioned David and Barbara Masoner briefly.  That was last year.  See, David, you guys are on my mind... and had a bigger impact on my life in many ways than you ever knew.  (As did many of my colleagues and students at Bryan... and friends in the Dayton area.  I am grateful for those who supported me through the rough times of life!)

God has brought Bryan College into my thoughts and life today three times.  First through sharing about my Israel trip with the women's Bible Study and then through two former colleagues.  I have run into others over the years, unexpected and on purpose.  I am blessed to still be in contact with several folks I worked with and taught from my Bryan College days.  There is still a sore spot in my heart and soul though because of my past sin.  I am thankful that God has seen fit to wash me clean as snow. 

Through the meetings and conversations with all people today, I have been extremely blessed.  The song that rises from my heart to my mind is "Bless the Lord, O my soul".   My soul has been blessed to overflowing today.

Bless the Lord, O my soul (10,000 Reasons) lyrics:

Bless the Lord O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
The sun comes up
It's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
Bless the Lord O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
You're rich in love and You're slow to anger
Your name is great and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
10,000 reasons for my heart to find
Bless the Lord O my soul
O my soul Worship his holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
10,000 years and then forever more
Bless the Lord O my soul O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
Bless the Lord O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name (repeat 3x)
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name (repeat 3x)

Matt Redman YouTube version with lyrics

I don't know what you might be thankful for today.... a successful surgery, answered prayer, a wonderful 50th birthday yesterday, the opportunity to be with family and friends, simply being....

Maybe your soul will find a reason to bless the Lord today.  Mine did.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra








No comments:

Post a Comment