Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Intensive seminary class on the main campus for the first time... feeding my soul and mind

I would like to sit down and write and write and write.  But, I have one more book to finish.  I also have a paper to finish that I started last night.  So, I will get my writing in, just not the way I'd prefer. ☺

There are so many ways I could go with this post.  Therefore, it could seem like random ramblings.  But, I think I'll focus on where I am and why I'm here.

I am in Kentucky for my first intensive on the main campus at Asbury Theological Seminary. I am taking a course in United Methodist Theology under Dr. Steve Seamands.  I am staying in Nicholasville, an 11 minute drive from the campus, at The Cottage which is part of The Corner House Bed and Breakfast.  This is a great place to stay and the host has been super!  The breakfasts have all been yummy!

I am getting some good silence and solitude time this week.  I needed it.  With my Academy time over, I knew I would need to be very intentional in getting time apart into my schedule.  I knew I would have some time to myself this week, but I wasn't prepared for how much this week would minister to me Academy-style.

It hasn't replaced Academy by any means.  There isn't much that can replace the vibrant worship of Academy #32, the bilingual atmosphere, the relationships that were knit over two years, etc.  BUT, through the direction of Dr. Seamands, our class is a space not only for learning, but also for spiritual formation, for worship, for the holy.  I have several times felt like I was in the Academy setting listening to the faculty presenter challenge us to reflect spiritually on things. 

Dr. Seamands has done this each morning through a time of teaching on the Character of a Methodist in which he presents Scripture, shares with us, challenges us to reflect, invites us to sing and worship and then pray together.  Wow!!  The topics have spurred sermon ideas. ☺  More importantly, they have opened up places for healing and have allowed me to have some spiritual formation time while being in class.  Head and heart time.  Just like the Academy.  My soul has been blessed.  I have been able to gaze upon several icons, including one of my favorites, that of Rublev's Trinity.  I have practiced visio divina while watching some of the incredible backgrounds for the songs we've sung.  I had a class with Dr. Seamands online at some point early on when I was working on the Certificate for Christian Studies.  That would be somewhere between 2007 and 2009, but I will have to look through my folders to figure out which one it was.  I remember that he was a good online instructor.  He is an even better in class professor.  The way he directs the activities of the learning process, how he uses songs, pictures, stories, group discussion, class interaction, etc.  I admire and appreciate his teaching methods both as a student and as a retired educator.  Well-done, prof!

Being on campus has been a blessing in other ways too.  I finally got a student ID after all these years (I started in 2007).  I got to go to my first chapel today.  Though I had to ask someone who it was that spoke, it was a powerful message.  And, it was good to share in communion. 

Getting to know fellow students in person has been good too, just as it was the first intensive I took in FL two summers ago.  I have also been able to connect with two local folks.... one I was expecting to see and had made plans to visit with over coffee; the other I knew was taking classes, but I thought she was gone for the summer.  So, I was surprised to see one of my former Wesley Life Group students and Costa Rica missionary buddies at lunch time today. 

Solomon's Porch truly has good coffee and a wonderful atmosphere.  Though I haven't eaten there yet, all the food items I have seen look wonderful. 

Here is a picture from Wesley Square of John Wesley.  It's really the only campus picture I've taken so far.  (On my camera.  On my phone I took a picture of the fountain and some pictures at chapel.)

 

 


Well, at this point I had better return to the writing that is required of me and the reading too.  At some point later I can hopefully return to writing here the things that have stirring around in my heart, mind, and soul.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment