Monday, April 21, 2014

A quote about prayer and peace leading into the 2nd Sunday of Easter....

In today's reading of A Guide to Prayer For All God's People (red book), a quote by Catherine de Hueck Doherty on page 156 stood out to me.  I have written about one of her quotes on spiritual growth before in a blogpost from December  27, 2011.

This quote started off about prayer, but led into peace, and ended up with wounds.  It is a profound quote that touches me deeply. 

As I walk into this 2nd week of Easter, there are many things swirling around in my life.  I have my final weekend of worship class at the end of this week.  Before I can get there, I have quite a bit of reading and other coursework to finish.

But that's not the main thing on my heart, mind, and soul.  There is a situation in life that continues to escalate and unravel before my eyes.  Prayer is the only thing within my control at this point.  If I'm honest with myself and others, the outcome isn't looking good.  For me to keep in control, I'm having to let go, over and over..... to submit to the One who can control this.... and trust.   There is peace for me, even in the midst of uncertainty and concern.  That peace runs deep, thankfully. 

It is within this context that I read this quote this morning:

"Where does the life in prayer lead?  Toward the end of the journey inward, after one has met Christ and shared his cross, one enters a strange land of loneliness.  Peace seems to precede it.  I think that it is the peace that comes through having been crucified.  There is a moment of resurrection, as if one has been taken off the cross.  The wounds are not healed, but they no longer hurt."  --From Soul of My Soul by Catherine de Hueck Doherty

I don't know if there is anything in this quote for you today.  Read it over a few times.  What words or phrases stand out to you?  Where do they meet you on your journey?

For me the words and phrases that stand out are: life in prayer, journey inward, land of loneliness, peace, resurrection, wounds not healed, but no longer hurt

If there isn't anything in this quote, maybe you'll want to check out the other post I wrote on another one of her quotes and included links about her (linked above).

As I walk into the Easter Season on this 2nd week of Easter, heading toward the 2nd Sunday of Easter, I pray that I may be open to hear and see and experience what the Wounded Healer might be attempting to teach me.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra





No comments:

Post a Comment