Saturday, June 13, 2015

Bubbling spring of Joy-- reflection from today's Jesus Calling

June 13

This morning is our last morning here at Lake Junaluska.  We head home today.  We leave behind a week of Annual Conference, an incredible time of worship, teaching, and a new beginning in my faith journey.  We go home to some challenges in a work situation for my husband and a family situation with my brother.

As I read the words in today's devotional from Jesus Calling, I was called back into the present moment and was able to 'be still and know'.

The words this morning encouraged me and uplifted me.

"I AM CREATING something new in you: a bubbling spring of Joy that spills over into others' lives.  Do not mistake this Joy for your own or try to take credit for it in any way.  Instead, watch in delight as My Spirit flows through you to bless others.  Let yourself become a reservoir of the Spirit's fruit.
     Your part is to live close to Me, open to all that I am doing in you.  Don't try to control the streaming of My Spirit through you.  Just keep focusing on Me as we walk through this day together.  Enjoy My Presence, which permeates you with Love, Joy, and Peace."

(found on page 172 of my copy of Jesus Calling)

What stood out to me most were these words/phrases:
  • something new
  • bubbling spring of Joy
  • My Spirit flows through you to bless others
  • Don't try to control the streaming of My Spirit through you
  • keep focusing on Me
Several times during worship this past week I found myself needing to, having to stand up during songs for worship.  Sometimes it would be when others were also standing and it wasn't so awkward or noticeable.  Yet at times there would be something moving inside of me and really the only way to let it flow was to stand.  When you are the only one standing, even in a room full of like-minded folks, it can be a little odd.  But, we are called to focus on and worship the One and Only, so I try to remember that.  I don't want to be a spectacle nor cause others to stumble.  However, when the Spirit is stirring within me to the point that I can sit no longer, I am going to stand.

I don't know if others sense that 'bubbling spring of Joy' that flows through me.  I hope they do.  I hope that it does bless others.  I pray that I don't try to control the streaming of the Spirit as it flows through me and that I will truly keep focusing on Christ, the Father, and the Spirit.

Nehemiah 8:10 has been a favorite for a long time for me and continues to carry me. It seems appropriate for me to remember here.  It is about the joy of the Lord being one's strength.

Whether the bubbling spring of Joy overflows constantly or not, a spring is a fresh body of water being fed from an underground/inside source.

May the Holy Spirit continue to feed the spring of my life, of your life as we continue this journey.  May Joy fill us and bubble over at times.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

Twila Paris: "The Joy of the Lord"


9/18/14 dd overflowing "joy"
   

No comments:

Post a Comment