Sunday, June 14, 2015

Let's Go for a Walk-- notes and reflections from Rev. Reed Shell's sermon

I have three Sundays during which I am visiting other churches for worship.  Today I went to Hixson UMC to their "River" service.  It is a contemporary service at 11am.  The reason I chose the River service is that I have never attended it before.  When I was a member at HUMC, it wasn't there. 

They are having VBS (Vacation Bible School) next week, so the worship center (gym) was set up like Mt. Everest.  You even got to come through a cool looking ice / igloo tunnel thing into worship.  [Note:  Here is a link to their VBS for next week.  Preregistration is closed, but you can register tomorrow (Monday June 15) on site.]

Rev. Reed Shell was the preacher for the River service today.  He spoke on walking, the journey.  A very appropriate message for me.  The title: "Let's Go for a Walk".  Scripture: Matthew 4:23-25


My notes and reflections aren't verbatim from Pastor Reed's sermon, but here goes:

God is a traveler.
God travels with us.
God also travels ahead of us and calls us to follow.

Pastor Reed spoke about the health benefits of walking daily, even walking for 30 minutes a day.  As an avid (almost daily) walker, I have learned about those benefits.  I have also read articles on those benefits and plan to keep up my walking even with my new schedule.  Two of the several benefits mentioned were: it reduces our blood pressure and it changes our outlook.  The benefits are physical and mental.

Pastor Reed noted that the Bible contains many stories about walking.  There was always someone walking somewhere.  I didn't get them all, but here are some of the ones he mentioned:
  • Abraham and Sarah walking from Ur
  • the Israel people walking (for 40 years)
  • Peter walking on water
  • Jesus walking--- into the mountains for solitude; from Galilee to Jerusalem; to calvary
  • Saul on the road to Damascus
  • the disciples on the road to Emmaus
We are all walking our faith journey, from sin to salvation.  (There were other good examples here, but I didn't get them all.)

Walking, therefore, is good for us physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Pastor Reed spoke of the labyrinth, a walking path that is a prayer path.  He showed a picture of one on the screen.  He talked about the path of a labyrinth being symbolic of life's walk, of the pathway.   Having walked several labyrinths, I was glad to see this image shown and discussed.  Labyrinths are a helpful way to walk and pray the journey.  And, depending on the labyrinth, one can gain many insights about life's pathway on the labyrinth pathway.  Or, one can simply walk and pray.  


[I know that the labyrinth at Lake Junaluska is often dotted with goose droppings, so one is reminded to watch one's step along the path or one will truly step in it.  There are also spots where there is no grass, depending on the weather.  Or, there could be muddy sections.  Etc.]

The closest outdoor labyrinth to Hixson UMC is the one at Burks UMC in Hixson.  It is located in the back of the property in a grassy area.  I plan to continue going there for prayer walks.

dd Sept. 2012
Pastor Reed talked about the walk to Everest, connecting with the upcoming VBS.  The theme for this VBS is: conquering challenges with God's mighty power.  It sounds great!  If I didn't have enough to do, I would consider checking it out!

Pastor Reed reminded us that as those who climbed Mt. Everest, we walk one step at a time, that we learn through failure, and that we grow through that learning.  We are to try again if we fail in order to grow.  God will give us the strength to assist us to put one foot in front of the other.

The whole life of faith can be imagined as a walk, a journey.  In both Deuteronomy and Micah, we find the question, 'what does God require?' and within the answer is 'walk'.  In Deuteronomy, it is 'walk in his ways' and in Micah it is 'walk humbly with your God'. 

The early church was known as "the way".  (My first Bible that I received at my first go away camp when I was 6 years old was entitled "The Way".  I don't know if I still have it anywhere, but here is a picture.)

Pastor Reed shared that the way is a path, a road.  It implies companionship.  He said we are on a journey and walking is a metaphor.

(Wow!  For this "journey" person, what an appropriate church for me to be at today, for me to hear this sermon....  God is good!)

If all this wasn't good enough, Pastor Reed then mentions a pattern of the steps of walking this journey. 

  • 1st step-- call.  awareness.  awakened.  the ordinary is asked to engage in the extraordinary.
  • next step-- fear.  (I can certainly relate!)  Example-- Moses was frightened by the burning bush.  Moses had many excuses.  Our fear can be fear of failure, inadequacy, etc.
  • 3rd step--reassurance by God.  God says 'take courage' / 'take heart'.  God was with Moses.  God is with us.
  • next step-- decision.  yes or no.  Something has to be done or decided upon.

What is next, the result is a changed life. 

Moses, David, etc.  Their lives were changed as they took those steps.  Their lives weren't perfect, but they were forever changed because of the journey.

They took the steps to follow the call and the invitation.

God is a traveling and active God.  God goes with us!

Amen!

WOW!!  Like Moses and David, I am not perfect.  I know that full well.  The really neat thing for me is that God did call and I answered.  There has been fear at times.  But, God has been faithful to assure and reassure me that this is God's calling on my life and that I have heard the Voice of my Creator.  So, I continue to take courage, to move forward, to take the next lit step on the path before me. 

I hope and pray that the churches to which I have been assigned are ready to walk with God on this awesome journey with me and Pastor Tommy!  And, if they literally desire to walk, I'm open to that too.  ☺  There is that benefit of 30 minutes a day, remember?!?!

What about you?  What call, awareness, or awakening are you sensing in your life right now?  Whatever it is, take courage that God is with you on the journey!

Thank you, Pastor Reed for the words of encouragement, affirmation, and conviction today!

Let's go for a walk!

Blessings on your journey!

Debra ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment