Thursday, June 11, 2015

Commissioned and Appointed at Annual Conference

June 11, 2015

Today I was commissioned as a Provisional Elder in the United Methodist Church at Holston Annual Conference.

Wow!

This is a huge marker in my journey and I am blessed abundantly to be here today.  "Here" is Lake Junaluska, NC.

This was my first Annual Conference in this capacity.  Sunday evening we were voted in so I was officially clergy and able to participate and vote throughout the week.  The other two times I have been to Holston Annual Conference have been solely as interested lay observer, able to come and go as one pleased.

I have always enjoyed the worship sessions, sharing in communion, the incredible decorated altar spaces, the speakers, preachers, and teachers.  One year when Bishop Swanson resided, he read a story to the children and as a child of God, I joined the children on stage.

The bible studies/teachings led by Stephen DeFur each morning have been thought provoking and inspirational.  My soul was fed and uplifted.

The teachings and information shared by Dr. Tammy Pawloski on "Why Poverty Matters" was also thought provoking.  I learned about ways to help and reach the children and how understanding the brain is part of the equation.

Dr. Tom Bandy brought demographical information pertininent to ministry and mission to our attention. Though I was already familiar with MissionInsite and have used it previously, I was not familiar with all that can be done with the wonderful tool.

Many conversations with friends (current, new, and renewed) throughout the week, helped me to see God's continuing hand of guidance in my life and journey as well as theirs.

The theme this week has been "Engage".  It has been a blessing this week to engage both with God and one another, to be challenged to continue that engagement, and to be equipped to engage with the community to which I am being sent.

This morning started out early.  We had to be there for pictures at 8:15am and the service was to begin at 9am.

My morning devotion from Jesus Calling this morning was one of those "cause for a pause" moments as I started my day.  It pulled together the importance of this week and day for me, leading me forward into the future:


What a message!  May I continue to trust God, to be in constant relationship with my Creator, and recognize that God will be my Strength!  It was a wonderful reflection to start the day.

Then, as I headed down toward Stuart Auditorium, I was greeted by the beautiful view of Lake Junaluska:



This commissioning prayer was prayed over each person, individualized by name.  Here is the prayer prayed over me:


Pour out your Holy Spirit upon Debra Dickerson.
Send her now to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ,
     to announce the reign of God,
     and to equip the church for ministry,
     in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Annual conference ends with the fixing of appointments.

That means that I can stop saying "my projected appointment is....." when asked.  I can now say that my first appointment in the Holston Annual Conference is with the Holston Gap Parish as Co-Pastor.  Holston Gap Parish is Flintstone UMC, Ft. Oglethorpe UMC, and Simpson UMC.  Tommy Messer and I will co-pastor the Holston Gap Parish together.

Chattanooga District Superintendent  Rev. Brenda Carroll and Lay Leader Becky Hall informing Bishop Taylor that Chattanooga appointments are correct as printed
Well, I could go on..... but, I won't.  The bottom line is that at this Holston Annual Conference I have been commissioned, appointed, and blessed.  Blessed by so many folks in the community, back home, throughout the country, and even in Costa Rica.

Thank you all for your continued support and prayers as I have continued on my journey.  Without the support of my dear family and you all, I wouldn't be where I am today.  See, I am SUPER blessed!

Here's one last picture. It's a post ceremony picture of me, the newly commissioned and appointed pastor with my awesome family. ☺


Thanks again for all the support on the journey!

May you know God's strength and peace along your journey, whatever it brings and wherever it takes you.  Blessings on your journey!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment