Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Be still and know..... the bookmark that began it all

My journey to quiet and stillness began in 2007.  It began with this bookmark that I made at a United Methodist Women's (UMW) meeting in July (notice the date on the back of the bookmark).



We had gathered for a craft evening to make bookmarks, led by Judy Kroulek. I haven't really ever seen myself as a creative person, but have learned over the years that my creativity comes out in photography and other ways. 

The only instructions that I remember were that we create something meaningful. I contemplated on what Scripture for a while until this from Psalm 46:10 popped into my head. I looked it up and wrote it down. I liked the cutout tool that made butterflies and chose it for decoration. 

That summer not only began my journey into quiet and stillness,  but also seminary.  Quiet and stillness became necessary lifelines as I studied, went back into teaching, applied my studies in leadership, and sought direction in next steps (which led to more seminary, the 2 Year Academy, and pursuing ordination).

Along the way I realized that my journey of quiet and stillness had really begun back in the days of my childhood, along the creek at my dad's campground and in the many acres of the woods and pastures of the family farm.

I continue to live into this verse today. Honestly, I don't see myself growing out of the need to "be still and know". In fact, I see myself needing more quiet and stillness rather than less.  Some days I need more stillness than others and am able to make time and space for it.  Some days I push beyond what I know I should just to get through. Even on those days, however, even a brief moment of being still, of allowing my soul to catch up with my body, is a moment of rest and refreshment for which I am grateful.

This morning I spent my quiet time out on the deck, enjoying the birds singing, the cool air, and the beauty of the sky... all while enjoying a cup of coffee.  I used the Centering Prayer app too. 


Returning to my bookmark....I have often wondered what happened to it. I have looked for it before. Today I found it when I was on our FUMSDRL/HOF (Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders/Hearts on Fire) board call. I was in our home office and casually looked to my left on a bookshelf... and there it was. Just there.  Odd, huh?!?! 

I get reminders all the time to "be still and know"... as I continue to hear the verse, see signs of it (It's all over the office at work on art and crosses), hear songs about it, etc. Today my gentle reminder came from the beginning, a bookmark that began a journey.... be still and know.

Blessings on your journey, 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment