Saturday, April 16, 2016

My first Easter Sunday as a pastor


Last year at Easter time I remember reflecting on what it would be like this year as a pastor.  At that time I didn't yet know my appointment was to the Holston GaP Parish, a three church appointment.

What WAS Easter like for me this year in the Holston GaP Parish as a pastor?  It was a tremendous blessing and a humbling experience.

I preached at both Flintstone UMC and Simpson UMC that day.  But prior to that, I joined my co-pastor Tommy Messer at Simpson UMC for our GaP-wide sunrise service at 7:30am.  Though a tad cloudy, the rains held off and it was a beautiful morning.  The cross that had been draped in black was covered in fresh, colorful flowers.  Pastor Tommy shared a great message that morning to start us off on Easter Sunday and then we had biscuits and fruit in the fellowship hall, compliments of a Sunday School class.

Then it was on to Flintstone UMC before going back to Simpson UMC.  A few highlights-- there were 12 kids, the most we've had in a while.  It was great to see all the families come to be with their families.  Though I missed the children's message as I had already left to go to Simpson, I saw the pictures of the kids up front and it was neat to learn that there were just enough eggs in the basket to go around.

During communion, I did something that I didn't notice until I was about halfway through at the second church.  When I caught myself doing it, it struck me as odd, yet appropriate.  I had been taking the bread from the middle of the loaves.  As I thought back, I remembered the Hawaiian bread shell sitting there like an empty cavern.  As I was still in the middle of communion at Simpson, I kept doing what I was doing and set the emptied shell down when finished.  I wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed what I had done or not.  It was an unintentional action on my part, yet appropriate for Easter and the empty tomb.  Typically, I simply tear off bread.  I am not inclined to solely pull from the middle.  The Sunday after Easter, I mentioned it and there were several that had noticed it.  For me, it was an inward nudging of the Holy Spirit that blessed me unexpectedly.

Another aspect of communion also blessed me on Easter Sunday.  At Flintstone, there was a member who would be having surgery later in the week, on Thursday.  When I came to her, I prayed for her and her surgery.  I later found out that she had been anxious up until that point, but then had peace.  She was the only person I prayed for specifically at Flintstone.

At Simpson, we had a lady come that hadn't been able to be there in a while.  She requested to be served in the pew.  It was sweet that as communion was being served, three people made sure we knew to take communion to her.  We did.  I felt led to pray a special prayer for her too.  She was the only person I prayed for specifically at Simpson.

Later that Easter week, both of those ladies died unexpectedly of different causes.  It was a tremendous shock and difficult time for the families and the church families.  I wondered how to minister to two grieving congregations the following Sunday as I would be back in those exact two churches the Sunday after Easter.  I got to Flintstone a little early (as is customary for me) that morning and sat under the pavilion for some quiet time to prepare my heart, mind, and soul for the morning ahead.  That time of quiet helped me be the vessel and the shepherd I needed to be.  What I wrote that morning: "Sitting at one of the picnic tables under the pavilion this morning at Flintstone UMC. I hear cows mooing in the background, birds chirping and singing nearby. This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad. That latter part is a little more difficult when entering two grieving congregations today. Yet, as followers of the Risen Christ, may we worship even in the grief and difficult times. As a shepherd, may I know how to gently lead and be with the flock today. Amen."


God is good and faithful.  God had a message for that 2nd Easter Sunday morning.  One of the resurrected and risen Lord that continues to be with us today.  The message wasn't delivered without tears or emotion, because it had been a difficult week and I have learned (and continue to learn) that I am called to live and lead as the vessel and shepherd that I am created to be.  I have the sermon notes and might share them, but it's getting late tonight and tomorrow is another Sunday (Easter 4).  That means I need a good night's rest to prepare for worship.

Oh, I almost left out another wonderful event that happened in our Holston GaP Parish on Easter Sunday.  At Fort Oglethorpe UMC, Pastor Tommy accepted two new members into membership by transfer from Pennsylvania.  We had a very blessed Easter in the GaP and I am reminded during this Easter Season in numerous situations that Christ is risen; He is risen indeed!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment