Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Morning Has Broken

I slept in a little longer than normal this morning, allowing the numbers on the clock to hit 7am before I got up.  After making coffee, I stepped outside to the back patio to enjoy it. I glanced over and this view from the deck.


As I took in the scene,  the first words to hit my brain were: "morning has broken."  Yes, it is a new day. The words to the song/hymn kept coming: "morning has broken, like the first morning. blackbirds are singing"  Well, I hear birds, but they aren't blackbirds.

Then, I realized that I needed to look up the words because I was getting them confused.  Sure enough, "blackbird has spoken".  The singing comes next.

In looking up the lyrics, I learned about Eleanor Farjeon, the author of the song in 1931 and how Cat Stevens made this poem/song popular in 1971.

A good link is this one: Oyster Mouth Parish


Lyrics: (from http://www.hymnlyrics.org/hymns_camp/morning_has_broken.php)

Morning has broken, like the first morning, 
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird. 
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning, 
Praise for them springing fresh from the word. 

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven, 
Like the first dew fall on the first grass. 
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass. 

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning, 
Born of the one light Eden saw play.
Praise with elation, praise every morning, 
God's re-creation of the new day. 

Cool the gray clouds roll, peaking the mountains,
Gull in her free flight, swooping the skies. 
Praise for the mystery, misting the morning, 
Behind the shadow, waiting to shine. 

I am the sunrise, warming the heavens, 
Spilling my warm glow over the earth
Praise for the brightness of this new morning, 
Filling my spirit with Your great love. 

Mine is a turning, mine is a new life, 
Mine is a journey closer to You. 
Praise for the sweet glimpse, caught in a moment, 
Joy breathing deeply, dancing in flight. (repeat)
---------------------
One never knows what a new day will bring. My prayer is that I live into today fully present, open to God's working, and ready to shine the light and love of the Creator.  May it be so for you as well.

Blessings on your new day and journey,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment