Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Lions, tigers, and bears-- Oh, my!

When three or more things happen together, the phrase, "lions, and tigers, and bears-- oh, my!", comes to mind.    I imagine many are familiar with this phrase and the movie from which it hails, "The Wizard of Oz".


Last week kinda felt like that for me in ministry.  Similar, yet not exactly the same.  It wasn't something to be scared of, it was something to celebrate.

Funerals, and weddings, and baptisms, oh my!

Last week was my first week in ministry where I had a funeral, a wedding, and a baptism.

That wasn't all that the week held.  There was a meeting with the family at the funeral home early in the week, visitation, a wedding rehearsal, two church services (with communion and the one with a baptism), and a leadership meeting.  Oh, the pre-conference briefing and the farewell reception for our D.S. were in there too.

[We also had our District Pastor meeting up at Camp Lookout last Tuesday and celebrated a wonderful time together with table fellowship, the passing of the leadership baton between the District Superintendents, and a special time of Holy Communion (which was bilingual in part and I got to lead in the Spanish.) I almost forgot about that special, holy, and affirming time.]

For the two church services, it was the kick-off Sunday to a 4 week series on "Building Relationships for Real Life", based on the book "Get Their Name".  We're doing it as a sermon series and a book study in all three churches in the Holston Georgia Parish.



There was much to prepare for and do last week.

It wasn't my first funeral.  In fact, it was my 12th.

It was my first wedding (as an officiant).

Though it wasn't my first baptism, it was my first infant baptism.  She was 7 months old and only one day younger than me.  (Her birthday is one day after mine, so she is younger than me by a day. Go with it.)

As I contemplated the liturgy for the week, there was one book from which is all came, the Book of Worship.  Some of it can be found in the hymnal and online too.  I have a copy of the pastor's pocket edition of the Book of Worship that goes with me in the car.  I am finding it to be a great companion.  I have another little green book, a smaller one, with other prayers that was recommended by a colleague that goes with me to hospitals at times.



One of the nudges I had for the funeral was to share from the Costa Rica mission trip journal from the year 2000 from the person's own words.  We had gone to Costa Rica together that year on a mission trip so I had known him longer than these two years in my current appointment.  As I read over those words in preparation for the funeral, those words spoke to me as appropriate for his home-going.

One of the nudges I had for the wedding was to share the bookmarks that had been given out at the showers for folks to pray for the couple.  They were scripture based and personalized for the couple.  It was a neat way to keep them in prayer and bless them.  It impacted me so much that it got woven into the service.

For the baptism, there were two nudges that became part of that service.  I felt led to provide baptism, encouragement, and prayer cards for everyone in attendance to fill out for the child.  These would be given to the parents to be read to the child and/or given to the child at an appropriate age.  In talking with the family about the baptism, we discussed using a shell and they mentioned having a special one at home.  They brought it.  We used it.



With the message on Sunday for the series being "Do You Know Your Own Story?", both churches had elements of either the wedding or the baptism woven into it, as well as some other God moments and faith story things God had done in community in my life recently.

Ministry can be overwhelming at times, especially when it comes together all at once.

But, I am blessed and humbled to be where I am, doing what I do, serving the people in the churches and in the communities I serve.

My faith story continues to be written as I live, love, and lead.

What an adventure this journey continues to be as I seek to love God and love others as a Christ follower.

To all of those who pray for me, encourage me, and join me in this journey, thank you.  I can not do it alone.  None of us can.

I don't know if or when I will ever experience a "trifecta" like a did last week with a funeral, a wedding, and a baptism all in one week, but I am grateful for the opportunity and experience.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

1 comment: