Sunday, May 6, 2018

Eyes of the Heart by Christine Valters Painter


This book, Eyes of the Heart, just arrived about a week or so ago.  I took it with me last weekend to the Women of Joy conference so I could begin to read it. It's not a book you read through quickly. It is one to read slowly and to engage in the practices it offers.

It is about photography as a Christian contemplative practice and seeing with the eyes of your heart.

I haven't read far.  I've only gotten to page 16.  I'll share some of my notes.

The book by Christine Valters Painter came out in 2013.  Somehow I am just now finding it.

In the introduction, Christine shares: "Photography has always been a way for me to see more deeply, but my awareness of how this was an experience of prayer and often an encounter with the sacred emerged over time." (1)  I could have written that sentence, though I wouldn't have written it as eloquently. I would have said something to the effect that 'Photography has always been a way for me to see things differently, but only in the past decade have I come to realize that it draws me closer to the Creator and allows me to slow my life down.'  That may be how I might express it, if I were to do so, right now, in the moment.

Christine continues: "I began to see photography as a way to slow down and gaze deeply, noticing things I missed in my rushed life." (1-2)  "It became a tool for deeper vision, supporting and enlivening contemplative seeing." (2)

"Photography as a spiritual practice combines the active art of image-receiving with the contemplative nature and open-heartedness of prayer. It cultivates what I call sacred seeing or seeing with the "eyes of the heart" (Ephesians 1:18)." (3)

"Photography as a spiritual practice can help us to cultivate an awakened vision so we begin to really see." (5)

"Photography is an ideal prayer practice for those who desire more active forms of contemplation or want to integrate creative expression into their spiritual path." (5)

"Photography can ber an act of silent worship." (6)

These are my notes from the introduction.  As I mentioned, I have read into chapter 1, up to page 16.  The concept of "visio divina" is mentioned, sacred seeing.  Whereas "lectio divina" is sacred reading, "visio divina" is sacred seeing.

In the past, I have set some of my pictures to music as a way to allow visio divina and contemplation.  I did this one time in particular for a women's bible study I was leading for Mustard Tree Ministries.

One thing that has "popped" out to me over the years as I have slowed down has been hearts. They have shown up in clouds, in trees, in flowers, in rocks, in gum, in all kinds of things. Others have noticed them too and have sent them my way.

Just the other day, an apple slice on my salad at Panera Bread was in the shape of a heart.  It caught my attention.


But it isn't just hearts that catch my attention.  It can be trees, standing tall, side by side and supporting one another.  It can be entangled roots, pine cones, bamboo, sunrises, sunsets, ocean waves, flowers, bugs, etc.  It can be literally anything, if I have eyes to see. 

As I read this book and put into practice what I learn, it is my hope that my prayer life will grow.

How are you growing your prayer life?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment