Monday, May 7, 2018

Morning Reflections on a life well lived


Good Monday morning,

This is my view as I drink my morning coffee and listen to the birds sing and a woodpecker drum away on a tree.

It is a crisp, cool morning, around 58 degrees (F). 

I am grateful for the morning times that will allow for outdoor reflection time once again.  We have a deck with a view on one side and a patio with a water feature and wind chimes on the other side of the house.  Both outdoor spaces allow for quality time to sit, be still, to listen, to read, to study, to pray.

As the sun continues rising, there are many things stirring within me today.

On Saturday, we went to the celebration of life of one of my colleagues, Rev. Carl Marshall, pastor of Washington Hills United Methodist Church.  That was one of the best celebrations of life I have ever attended, full of joy and worship.  [GayLynn Caldwell's celebration of life was another one that I won't forget, not just because of the worship and celebration, but also the confetti.]

I first met Carl 4 years ago in May at our Day with the Bishop prior to being Commissioned that June.  Then we were in the same cohort for 3 years.  He had been in ministry longer than me, but decided to become an Elder.  He and his wife were both pastors, shared life experiences, and had a heart for all of God's people. Carl had also studied geology back in the day. That had been my minor for a short while in undergraduate.  We had some good conversations at our provisional retreats.  My last conversation with Carl was the day of our interviews in November.  We had a short conversation, but a good one.  We talked again about getting together with our spouses, but we never pulled that off.  I knew he and Riley would get along well as fellow hikers and being only 21 days apart.  I got to know Sharon some when she came and spoke at one of our Lenten Luncheons this past Spring.  I have read some of her prophetic messages and look forward to getting to know her more.  Though it was a one way conversation, I did get to visit with Carl in the hospital a few weeks ago, talk with him, and pray with him, along with his wife, and some of his friends.  That was a blessed moment for me to be in that space.  I will miss Carl not being with us on May 24th on our Day with the Bishop this year nor on stage for our Ordination service on June 13th, but I know he's celebrating a much more rewarding ordination, one without sickness or pain.  I hope to live out my ministry in such a way that shows I too love all the people of God, stand for the marginalized and oppressed, and love the little churches.  I am grateful for the conversations and the role model.

Blessings on your day,

Debra

Obituary of Carl Marshall in Times Free Press
Full Obituary from the Serenity Funeral Home of Cleveland



No comments:

Post a Comment