Monday, May 7, 2018

World Labyrinth Day 2018


World Labyrinth Day 2018 was this past Saturday, May 5th.  Folks were encouraged to find a local labyrinth and join together across the world at 1pm.  It is always held on the first Saturday in May.  This year was the 10th celebration.  You can find out more about it at the Labyrinth Society's link to World Labyrinth Day here.

I attended a celebration of life service on Saturday, so I did my labyrinth walk yesterday.

I went to a labyrinth I often visit when I am in Fort Oglethorpe, GA. It is at the Church of the Nativity, an Episcopal church.  The church is located at 1201 Cross Street.

When I arrived yesterday, I noticed right away that there were stacked stones (cairns) throughout the labyrinth. This was the first time I have seen them stacked. I was curious if it had been part of the world labyrinth day celebration or some other occasion or if someone simply came along and made the stacks.

As I walked and prayed, I found a heart rock. I noticed the flowers, I stopped to fix some of the stacks that had toppled over.





Website for Church of the Nativity (from the website, you can read more about labyrinths in general and their labyrinth)

Want to know more about labyrinths? The labyrinth society is a great resource.  Check out their website below.  Not only can you learn about them, but you can also locate them locally to where you are. (Not all labyrinths are posted on their site, so ask around in your community.)

Website for the Labyrinth Society

After posting a picture yesterday that I had walked and prayed the labyrinth, a friend posted that St. Peter's Episcopal on Ashland Terrace in Chattanooga, TN is soon on creating/building a labyrinth.  With that one and the Church of the Nazarene in Flintstone, GA (there are in the process of building one too), that will be two new ones locally for me to visit.

I have written about my other labyrinth prayer walks and the other local labyrinths in my community that I have found thus far.  If you are interested in reading those blog posts, simply search for the label "labyrinth".

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment