Wednesday, July 10, 2024

BOOK REVIEW: Broken to Belong-- a novel by Charity Muse

I have only written a few book reviews in my life and because it's not something I do very often, it isn't a honed skill for me. However, I felt compelled to write something after reading Charity Muse's first novel Broken to Belong. 

"Though Broken to Belong by Charity Muse is a novel, it drew me in as if it were a real life situation. The novel focuses on a safe house for LGBTQ+ youth in the rural south and the community conflict from those who are hateful toward such a place. Themes of suicide, hate, rejection by family, struggles with faith and God, grief, were covered in the novel, as well as themes of God’s love, families that loved their kids, found family, lesbian relationships, and how everyone seeks to simply belong. This novel offers insight into making a difference in people’s lives—how we can offer hope and healing to those who have been broken and what we can do by offering our unique and authentic selves to standing up against hate. As a parent, a pastor, an ally, and a member of PFLAG, I found this novel to be hard to put down as I read the stories of parents, families, and friends. I could relate with much of it. There are parts of the novel that were difficult for me—how “Christians” sought to destroy human beings and how they attacked not only people, but property, using scare tactics. Yet, there was redemption in the novel as love won, in more ways than one. There is romance and friendship in this book.

The novel is written through the eyes of two main characters, taking the reader through their experiences. It is well written. Music was woven throughout the novel, playing an important role. There’s even a soundtrack with original music and another listening list that offers the other music listed in the book. You can get more information at charitymmuse.com/brokentobelong.

You can read the novel by yourself or use it in a group. There is a downloadable discussion guide to use once you’ve read the book. By using this guide and/or other questions, you will be able to engage in meaningful discussion on important topics.

As the book ended, I found myself hoping for an updated next novel to continue the story. I recommend this book, recognizing that some of the themes (suicide, faith, hate) might be difficult for a reader. Because these are topics that touch our lives in one way or another, it’s worth the read."

You can find the book through Amazon or possibly other online bookstores. It might be sold locally in a bookstore. I am not 100% sure. You might be able to find Charity at a local event (as I did) and buy it from her... and get it autographed. :) 

If you read the book and have some comments, I invite you to share them here.

Charity will also be at Wild Goose if you are headed there. If you see her there, tell her hello for me.

Deb

P.S. Even before I finished the book, I wrote this about it, only having read a few pages into it. :)

I picked up this book I have been wanting to read by a local author at a mini market on Sunday. This is someone I have known for several years, taken three trainings from, heard sing, etc. I have been wanting to read her book. On a breezy morning I started chapter one and I am hooked. It is engaging, well-written, and it made me look back and think-- 'I thought that was the same song 🙂 . This quote on page 7 is powerful: "I like to think that every smile, every laugh, and every moment of joy a resident feels acts like a fault line, cracking across the pain they carry, reaching down until it's only their true selves that remain, unfettered by the deep loss they've been through." And, my personal note is fitting-- from professor to pastor to chaplain to simple me, I offer a place for people to belong. So does the author. So do many. I invite you to read this book! Read it in a group and discuss it. Local folks might be able to invite the author for a reading. 😉




No comments:

Post a Comment