Sunday, August 4, 2024

BOOK REVIEW: Looking Inward, Living Outward: The Spiritual Practices of Social Transformation by Daniel Wolpert

 

I have written about this book before on my blog: Looking Inward, Living Outward: The Spiritual Practice of Social Transformation (July 10)

I finished reading it a few days ago and I started writing a book review. I had promised a friend and colleague a book review for the national newsletter. So, I wrote it. It took two days to complete it, but I sent it off yesterday. It will be shared in an upcoming edition of a Hearts on Fire newsletter, but I thought I'd share it here for those who might be interested in the book.

I invite and encourage you to check it out. If you're interested in discussing the book, let me know. I'm still "chewing on it" in reflection.

Here is my review: 

"I sit in silent reflection as I just closed the back cover of this book. There is so much in these pages that resonates with me, to soak in, to live out. This book is an easy read, yet challenging. Just as the spiritual practices mentioned are simple, yet not easy, as the author admits readily in several places throughout the book.

Wolpert takes us into spiritual practices that lead to social transformation by looking at what Jesus said rather than what we have attempted to say that Jesus said over the years. By not listening deeply to God incarnate, we have perpetuated social injustice, a view of a heavenly only kingdom and other things that aren’t in the teachings of Jesus.

If the reader is willing to read this book with an open mind, there is much to see and learn. How do we start to attend to God’s presence? How can we listen in prayer rather than speak unnecessary words? How can we live in the here and now, in this kin-dom on earth, as we are called to do in the Lord’s Prayer?

These are some of the questions swirling around as I finish the book.

Format of the book: at the beginning of each chapter is a scriptural passage that relates to the practice in that chapter. The twelve practices are: willful attention, boundary creation, fearless humility, self-awareness, powerful presence, compassionate relationship, serving God, radical trust, letting go, discernment, loving your enemy, and prayer.

For me, this is a book that deserves at least a 2nd read, and likely a 3rd one. It will take time for the concepts, nuggets of truth, and practices to seep into my thinking and action. It’s a book that I would recommend using as a group study or a book club, as a way to discuss it with others.

If I were to include only one quote from the book, I think it would be this one: “One of the main reasons people find spiritual practices challenging is that it is hard and painful to encounter our own judgmentalism.”  (67)  I encourage anyone who desires to grow, to take the challenge of this book to look inward and to live outward. It will not be an easy process, but it will be transformational, if you allow it to be."

Rev. Deb

LINKS:

PODCAST EPISODE FOR THE BOOK: Liminal Living S3 E20: Daniel Wolpert: Looking Inward, Living Outward

Daniel Wolpert, author bio-- From the Upper Room

No comments:

Post a Comment