Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Reflections on the cusp of 60

hammock time during the Academy 

In my memories from 9 years ago, I saw this post: 

"My year of jubilee ends tomorrow.  But I have decided to keep on celebrating my year of freedom.  I started it early at 49 with hang gliding, so why stop now?! 50 brought graduation, commissioning, my first appointment as pastor, clergy in the Emmaus community, first talk in the Still Waters community, and a preview tonight for the Chattanooga community. 50 included a beach trip to a great area with family, a trip to Colorado with my teenager to visit family, a board meeting in Texas, and SOULfeast. 50 had its shares of ups and downs and ebbs and flows. But I am loving this life and the journey.  Looking forward to continued adventures. Buenas noches. ..."

Wow! And here I am on the eve, the cusp of a new decade. 9 years have flown by.  Since 2015 I have spent 7 years serving as a pastor in 2 appointments and have started year 3 on family leave of absence. In 2019 I started a Wild Church, Bamboo Encounter, that is part of the Wild Church Network. I did my first 15 mile bicycle "race" with Cycle Sequatchie last October in 2023. I completed my Spiritual Direction studies at the end of 2023 and got my Certificate in January 2024. I became President of PFLAG Chattanooga in April 2023 and worked to get it up and running again.  There is so much more that has happened in a decade and even this past year.

As I look over the edge of 59 into 60, I am excited for this next decade. I have hopes and dreams for many things. 

One goal is to celebrate 60 all year long. A while back I wrote a partial list of things I would like to do or continue to do as part of that celebration:

  • Hot air balloon ride
  • Sky diving
  • Pincic
  • Camping 
  • Hiking
  • Biking
  • Walking
  • Backpack
  • Kayaking
  • Hammock time
  • Sunrises
  • Sunsets
  • Coffee
  • Activities/classes-- cooking, hatchet throwing, glass blowing, wine tasting / pottery (make a mug)
  • Museums / art shows / concerts
  • Broncos game!
  • Visit new places
  • Visit random places
  • Monastery
  • Ghost Ranch, New Mexico 
  • Carrie Newcomer retreat in March
  • Silent retreat 
  • Race car driving :) 
  • Write 

I read somewhere than in Hindu beliefs, turning 60 means one has completed their worldly responsibilities and can now concentrate on spiritual growth and enlightenment. I don't think I can put aside all my worldly responsibilities, but I do like the idea of focusing on spiritual growth. 

In fact, that is what I am doing this week. I am attending a 4 Day Academy on the theme of "Welcoming the Wilderness " for the purpose of spiritual growth. It has been a  deep well from which to drink and it's only the 2nd day.

What will 60 and 60+ have in store? I don't know. 

I do know that there will be adventures along the way and time with friends and family.

I look forward to living into this new decade and continuing my lifelong pursuit of learning. I also hope to continue my goal of living, loving, and leading like Jesus. 

Peace on the journey!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment