Monday, October 7, 2024

Rocks, Trees, and Mushrooms! Exploring around Camp Sumatanga

This morning I spent some time exploring around camp. I started off with the intention to walk the Nature Trail behind Building 3. I may not have been at the correct location, because this bridge led to a path, but it was overgrown-ish and did not look well traveled.

I decided to head down toward the lake and do the lake trail.

On the way, I stopped by the Sumatanga cross, then I found some mushrooms. I marveled at the tall pine trees. 











From there I wandered toward a lodge and found a sign for the Lake Trail.

I headed down some steps and down a path. When I looked to my right I saw rocks. Big rocks. OOHH. That caught my attention and I headed up toward them. There was an area with three crosses in front of the rocks. Then the rocks had my full attention. 


There was a huge crack between two of the rocks. It reminding me of Jerry Webber's poem that I first heard during my 2 Year Academy: 

My life cracks open
Jerry Webber

My life cracks open.
I stand in it

careful not to run.






As I thought about that poem, I decided to stand in the crack between the rocks. I did. I attempted to make my way through the crack, but I couldn't. It was like "Fat Man's Squeeze" at Rock City, but MUCH MORE TIGHTER. I made my way around to the back of the rocks and entered into the crack there. I was able to stand in the middle there. There was no running. Just standing.


looking up through the top

Now, I doubt that's the type of "crack" Jerry was writing about in the poem. It was more likely that life broke open and instead of running away from it, he stood still. I get that. Life can have a way of breaking loose, cracking open. Standing still in that situation, in the chaos, in the brokenness is different. For me, standing between the two rocks in the crack today was more of stepping into a place of protection. Though I don't know the significance of all this, the poem did come to mind.

I continued to explore and play on the rocks. I found some purple wildflowers and trees growing out of the rocks. I think I even saw a beaver dam. If it wasn't a beaver dam, then someone or something else had built a tiny dam out of sticks.









I left that spot and headed to the lake, seeing the bridge in the distance. It made a pretty reflection in the water.

By this point I was running out of drinking water and starting to get hot. I decided to let go of my plan to walk around the lake trail (and to find the labyrinth) and to head back.

I spotted the playground, the Hannah Clem Playground, with the rainbow slide and swings and knew I had to make one more stop. There were water fountains inside the playground area, so I was able to fill up my water bottle. Another pine tree caught my attention, as did some mushrooms.








Walking in the grass, I heard a slight noise and saw a slight movement. I stopped. I looked down. What I saw was a tiny frog. Unlike yesterday's hike to the falls, this little creature allowed me time to take a photo. Yesterday I heard a noise and I looked.... only to see a black, slithering snake going away from me. I was disappointed that I didn't get a photo. It was my first snake of the year. So, no snake photo. It turns out that I didn't get a photo of my tiny frog friend either. I guess I walked away without double checking my camera. I really thought I got a photo of it. It was about the size of a half dollar, maybe a tad smaller. Maybe it was something I was to enjoy only in the moment. 

When I found my way to the rainbow slide, it reminded me of being at my first 5 Day Academy and playing on the slide and playground there. This rainbow slide is fun! It is fast! I got in the swings for a few minutes too. If only I had brought my bubbles with me on the exploration adventure. Next time. I definitely brought some with me.











Play and playfulness IS a spiritual practice. Now, I don't just say that because I'm a kid at heart and I like to play. I have learned that from others over the years, to my relief. It has affirmed and confirmed things within me that I knew, but wasn't fully sure about. Sometimes it takes the words and voices of others for me to know that I'm on the right path. I've written about play being a part of who I am and about play and playfulness as a spiritual practice in the past. You can search through the blog to find them. Here is one: 'Lessons from "Little Lights" on playfulness"

As I wandered along on my journey, I found myself being curious about the rocks, the trees, the mushrooms. Curiosity leads to openness and is also a spiritual practice. My time in nature wasn't what I thought it would be, but it gave me peace and calm as it connected me to the Creator.

l wandered back to the building I'm in. My adventurous wanderings felt like the dotted lines of "The Family Circus" where the kids wander all over the place and the dotted path was left behind for us to follow.. That came to mind while I was wandering, as did "Harold and the Purple Crayon". I didn't have a crayon that I was using, but I was creating an adventure as I went along. Both of those references reveal my childlikeness self.

Now that I'm back, I'm taking a break and cooling off a little.

I may go back outside on another exploration adventure after lunch. Or, I might read. Or, I might work on my creative projects I brought with me. I don't know. I may even hang up the hammock for a while. There are options.

Thanks for sharing my exploration adventure with me.

It was fun and joyful!

Rev. Deb

P.S. I didn't go back out for more exploration adventures today. I did, however, blow some bubbles from the rocking chairs on the 2nd floor. Here is a photo of the night sky tonight.


ALL PHOTOS ARE MINE. TAKEN AT CAMP SUMATANGA, OCTOBER 7TH, 2024. DD

As I reflect on this post and my time outside in nature today, here are some final take-aways:

  • Keep an open mind when exploring new things; you might find something unexpected and delightful.
  • Get another perspective of what you see-- whether from the side, the top, or the ground. 
  • Have fun. Enjoy yourself. Allow curiosity and playfulness.
  • Stop. Look. Listen. You might see one of God's smaller creations.
  • Nature and outdoor therapy are balms to the soul and mind. They bring calm, peace, and healing.
                                                                       -DD




No comments:

Post a Comment